Memphis' Inmate

As desolate as ever, he sat there, and let a little metallic blue marble plink against the cement wall. He watched it bounce and roll back to him. The soft tinks it made was what he lived for. The sound was harsh, yet melodic, as it was better than ultimate silence.

These barren walls of thick cement, white and sterile, was what he saw everyday. Very much known as solitary confinement.

His only company was the cot, the latrine, the sink and the occasional food tray the guards brought in 3 times a day. Oh, and his well worn brown drawstring bag of marbles. He treated them with such care and kindness that they could've been his children.

Ian Mankester was 32 years old, and stuck in Memphis Prison. He had a daughter, and he also had a fiancée, who were both beautiful. He loved them both, so much. He started to tear up at the thought of them continuing their life without him.

His daughter, Emily, would be 13 in two weeks. He would miss another one of her birthdays. She probably didn't even think of him as her father anymore, since he'd been arrested 5 years ago. Ian remembered that day; it was also the day his fiancée, Starlina - his heart ached as he thought her name - had broken off their engagement.

She had called him a fool, a lunatic. Then she called the cops.

Tears slid down his face, and into the light stubble that grew on his cheeks and jawline. He pulled out another marble, this time a clear green one with a darker green cat's eye ribbon through it. Ian gave a shy smile.

It was the exact color of Star's eyes.

He bowed his head, and let the marble drop back into the bag with a tiny clink as it collided with the others inside. Then he just cried for what he had lost 5 years ago.

****

New story, hope you like it! Love you guys!

Note: There is a story of pure fiction. I don't really know an Ian Mankester in a Memphis Prison.

Please enjoy either way!