Chapter 10

Millions of thoughts ran through Jay's mind.

He killed a little girl. Or was it Bliv that killed her? Why was he calling the voice in his head Bliv? Oh yeah, short for Oblivion, duh. Was he a vampire? No, no, he couldn't be. That was just Bliv taking him over. Or was he? Was Bliv just a figment of his imagination? Fuck. If that was the case, then he was solely responsible for the girl's death. Dammit! Why did he let Bliv take him over? He could have stopped it! He was a ninja! A lightning ninja, dammit! Not some vampire-ghost's puppet! He unlocked his true potential! His... His...

His true potential...

Jay looked up at Nya, who was gazing out the window. Her eyes were cloudy, unfocused... Crimson around the eyelids. She sniffed and wiped at her eyes. She was crying.

'Dammit.' He thought. It was his thoughts, definitely not Bliv's. 'Way to go, Jay. Letting your girl get upset while you cry about something you can't change.'

Jay stood up weakly and walked over to his true love. "Nya? Hey, it's okay. It's gonna be okay. It's gonna be okay..." He wrapped his arms around her stomach and nuzzled her neck (appropriate...).

Nya tilted her head back and met his embrace. "Jay... I love you. No matter what happens... I will always love you." She shifted around in his arms so that she could hug him back.

The two stood like that for minutes until a knock came at the door. "Jay?" Zane's voice called. "Sensei wants to speak with you. He is curious about your condition. Are you well enough to see him yourself?"

Jay gently pulled away from Nya and called back, "Yeah, I'll be there in a minute. Thanks, Zane!"

Jay was ready to leave Nya, when something in his gut made him feel risky. Oh god, not again. Bliv forced Jay's body onto Nya's, digging his hands into the back pockets of her jeans. Pressing his lips upon hers, the two enjoyed the sensation before Jay pulled away.

"Whoa." Nya breathed. She smiled and stroked Jay's cheek. "You should go now, Sensei's waiting." Jay nodded and exited the room.

'I'm glad you decided to wake up at that exact moment.' Jay thought, addressing Bliv.

Oblivion scoffed. 'Decided? Pardon me, but all of that loud thinking woke me up. You need to think quieter. Some of us are trying to get our sleep.' Bliv yawned and continued. 'You should keep your thoughts clear now. Sensei's going to read your mind. No thinking about me, alright? I'll do my part by sleeping in your mind for a while, alright?'

Jay gulped and entered Sensei Wu's room.

"Close the door." Sensei instructed. Jay shut the door and sat cross-legged in front of his superior.

"Hey Sensei." Jay said uneasily. Sensei bowed his head and Jay greeted him the same way. "Jay. I was told that you were unconscious for three days. Your mind is experiencing great disturbances. I must examine them."

Sensei knelt in front of Jay and lit the incense next to him. Wu slowly placed his hands on Jay's curls. Peaceful images filled the young ninja's mind; a moonlit forest, a tranquil waterfall, a beautiful butterfly.

Nya. Nya, Nya, Nya. The dark-haired girl flooded his mind. Sensei smiled, knowing what made the ninja happy. Jay blushed, thinking about the girl he loved.

"Prepare yourself Jay. These next images won't be so serene."

At Sensei's final word, Nya's calm face suddenly became twisted. She was crying. Crying hard. Pain was written across her face. Her screams echoed in Jay's ears. Blood dripped from her face. No. No, it was everywhere. Her whole body, covered in blood. A boy, suctioned to her neck, piercing his teeth, no fangs, into her neck. He was stabbing his fangs so hard, her skin broke. Blood covered Jay's field of vision. But then again, the last thing Jay saw was the boy being him.

Jay was the monster. It was him all along.