Chapter 8

The howling wind rushed through Jay's ears, the ground hurling towards him. As he fell, the adrenaline rushed through his veins and his stomach dropped. Why did he jump? Now he would be injured, or most likely dead. As the crisp air sliced his face, he immediately regretted his decision. However, he wasn't so nervous about the consequences. It was almost as if-

'Everything will be fine.'

The deadly, throaty whisper was suddenly calm and kind. That's when it hit Jay-

The voice had become his own thoughts drifting in his mind.

Right when Jay was about to be blasted into kingdom come, something sprouted out of his shoulder blades, allowing him to glide safely to the ground, saving him from his demise.

Jay glanced behind him, and saw the most beautiful, glossy, black bat wings shimmering in the moonlight- and they were attached to him!

'Don't worry. I would never let anything happen to our precious body.'

Our body? What did he mean by "our" ?

'You and I have become one in the same. I can control your actions, to an extent, and I reside in your thoughts and become them.'

'However, I will not control any part of you, unless you need the extra push, like I just did right now. Instead, all I ask is that you feed me.'

Jay nodded. "Feed you. Got it. So do you eat like, sandwiches or something?"

'No. I drink blood. But since my body has been taken away from me, I have slowly been inching my way into a mortal's. This way, I can use your body to feed myself. Think of yourself as a suit, and I as the person inside.'

"That's kind of messed up. Why didn't I get a say in this? And I don't wanna drink blood for you. What's my part in this deal, huh?"

'Well, my dear, you get to keep all the awesome powers, which includes, but not limited to, flying, gorgeous teeth, and staying awake all night and possibly day. You can even turn into a bat, if you'd like.'

"I guess that's fair. Tell you what; I'll give you some blood tonight if you take me flying."

'Deal. I suggest we drink from someone who resides somewhere secluded. We wouldn't want word of this getting around, especially your ninja friends. I worry that Kai, after hearing what Nya told you, will kill us and ruin our plans.'

"Okay. Deal."

Jay spread open his wings and flew to wherever the voice in his head took him.

"If you don't mind me asking, who are you anyway? What's your name?"

'My name is Oblivion, but you can think of me as your conscience, the voice in your head. Also, I don't suggest talking to me out loud. People can hear you, you know.'