Chapter 7

Jay clucked his tongue and let out a shaky breath. "Nya, I... I'm so sorry about what happened to you. That... must have been horrible to live through."

Nya nodded. "Yeah, but like I said, I got over it. The other bandits were just normal guys, probably desperate to support their families. But the one... Their leader... that wasn't human. Dad told us it resembled the creature known as a vampire but... it wasn't in human form. At all. He told us it looked more like a demon from hell, with black glossy wings and bright red eyes and millions of teeth ground sharp and thin. Kai's ultimate secret is his vow to kill anything that resembled the creature, as revenge."

Nya took a deep breath and continued. "I just don't want him to end up like our mom. Dad wouldn't let us see her body, but you could still see where she was punctured. One of her eyes were gouged out, her heart was torn out of her chest, and don't get me started on her neck."

Nya shivered, and a tear slipped down her cheek.

Jay sat up and offered her his piece of chocolate. "Huh?" Nya turned to Jay and wiped her eyes. "Here. This'll make you feel better... I mean, you definitely need this more than I do."

Nya smiled and took the chocolate from him. "Dork... But thank you... And thanks for listening." She ate it and sat down next to him.

'Leave.'

Huh? Jay looked around him, but no one was there.

'She has to leave now.' The throaty voice hissed.

Oh shit! It was the same voice from before!

'GET HER OUT. GET HER OUT OR I'LL DO IT MYSELF.'

Panicked, Jay nudged Nya.

"Hmm?" The girl turned towards her boyfriend.

"Nya, I, uh, I need you to uh, uh, uh... I kind of need to rest..."

"Oh! Right, you need your rest. Okay Jay, I'll leave." Nya smiled and planted a kiss on his forehead. "Eat the rest of your food, and let me know if you need anything." She strolled out of the room and closed the door behind her.

'Good. Very good. Get up!'

Jay didn't think he could get up, but something forced his legs to swing out of bed and stand up. He didn't even feel lightheaded. It was almost as if something was taking him over...

~

'Good. Very good.'

Jay rushed to the mirror, gazing at his fading reflection. This wasn't good. If he were to be spotted by one of the ninja in the bathroom, they wouldn't see his reflection in the mirror. Jay opened his mouth wide and ran his fingers across his teeth. They weren't sharp yet, and his fangs hadn't grown in, but they eventually would. Jay ran a hand through his hair and grinned as he saw the jet-black roots growing in over his ginger curls of doom. His baby blue pools faded into a deep red. Suddenly proud of his new appearance, Jay decided to take this baby out for a spin.

Jay pulled open one of Cole's drawers and pulled out some black material he never used. Grabbing a needle and thread (Kept around just in case their hoods tore in battle), Jay fashioned a hood, cloak, and cape. He then rummaged around the bathroom drawers and found some costume makeup from Halloween last year. Awesome. Jay covered up his tanned, freckled face with white paint and dabbed his eyelids with light gray eyeshadow.

Jay flashed a toothy grin to the mirror and opened up the window. With no doubt in his mind, he jumped out, plummeting into the cold night.