I Wanted To Tell You

On the way to Oscar's house Ball stared hard out the window. Sometimes in the shadows of snow she thought she saw corpses, or was it simply just a trash bags? The snow was starting to fall.

She looked back to her friends. Oscar cared only for what was outside his window, and gave the occasional whimper. David would look out of his window too, but Ball found him also trying to peek around and look at her.
Dora, well she seemed a little off.

"Dora hasn't spoken this entire time," Ball stared at her.
David chirped up.
"For some reason she's forgotten how to speak english. She won't talk because we can't understand," David said.
"Where's her family?" Ball asked David.
"Well, since Nelly's seriously sick they thought we were just taking her to get help," David explained.
"Did you tell them we were evacuating?!" Ball asked. She tensed up.

"We did. They just have to pack. We took Nelly because she's sick and it would be quicker just to take her than to wait for the family to pack," David explained further.
"Ok.." Ball calmed down, "Are you feeling any better?"

"I actually am.. but even though I seem really chatty it's only because I really don't know what else to be. We're seriously in trouble and I really feel like I'm not going to make it out alive. Even if I don't get-"
Ball began to shake her head at him.
"Don't say that!" She almost shivered, "You will get out of this alive." It was almost a demand. She looked to the window again in a scowl.
...

Suddenly, she felt herself being lifted up. David took her back to his seat and held her close.
Instead of saying anything Ball looked briefly out of the window before falling asleep.

***

The next morning was at Oscar's house. The air was sharp and still, and the roads were filled with 3 feet of snow. Oscar was standing out on his porch with a hot chocolate in his hands. He was wearing his pajamas but just wanted to feel numb.

David took a step out on the porch. He was bundled up in a heavy purple jacket with a white wool inside. He also wore large gloves and a grey scarf.
"I'm really sorry about what happened to.. to your parents. I may not understand everything, but I know how devastating it is losing both of them in one big swoop,"

Oscar nodded "I heard," He looked into his hot chocolate, "Plane accident right?"

"Something like that. Not even sure myself. Sometimes I worry it was the aliens, since I know they exist. In that case I hope my parents are dead. I don't know what I would do if I knew they were being murdered and experimented on over and over again," David said. He occasionally looked out to the snow covered roads and wind chimes.

"Wouldn't you go after them?" Oscar asked gently.
"I guess I would have to," David sighed.

They were silent for a moment.
"What do you think about this snow?" Oscar asked looking up at him in a squint.
"I guess It's just kinda crazy how fast it fell, but I really shouldn't expect any less from Yoyeland," David looked out at it again, "Ball and I are going to go look for Dora's family. They never contacted us or anything so she's worried."

"Oh God," Oscar breathed before taking another sip, "She's right to be... How will you find them in this snow? I thought you were sick."

"Eh, I've been seriously feeling like a boiling ooze for about 2 days," David shrugged, "Now I think my sickness is either done with me, or this is just the calm before the storm. I'm still not perfect though. Every time I get up I feel dizzy and I still feel hot and dehydrated all the time."

"Well what happens if you suddenly get super sick again?" Oscar asked him.
David shook his head at the ground in an awkward shuffle before looking at Oscar to answer.
"Than I'll finally die," David looked weak and in pain for just that moment.