Aloof

Johnson opened the door of the waiting room. What David was blind to seeing was the reconnection that had gone underway in the scientist and his so called daughter.
David took it like Johnson's mind had destroyed and consumed Ball's soul, but he was forgetting what made them compatible in the first place. The barrier in between the 2 beings was gone, but the memories and old words were slowly melting into each other. It only depended on what Johnson wanted to know.

He closed the door and laid himself on his back. It was dark, but that's what he wanted. Silence. Just his own mind to focus on. The pain Ball had sudden drowned him in made him want to think things over.

Are you a bad man Drake?

He asked himself.

No. I am a dead man.

He waited.

Looks like you've been following in my footsteps Ball. It's kinda funny to think that it was hard for me to be strong as a human, but as an object you are even stronger somehow.

Drake remembered a time when he was of high school age in the dark of his room. Thinking to himself about his future.

Am I ever going to amount to anything?

It's a common teen question.

Out in the yard, grass tried to creep it's way above barren rock and dirt of the old Yoyel landscape. The suburbs of mystery and science. Chasing his destiny.
And deer, which is also part of it.

Drake was holding onto wall of a van’s open door. It was driving as fast as it could.

Hahaha! I loved these old days!

The car stopped parallel to the deer. It looked at Drake only turning its head.

“YaH!” Drake exclaimed leaping chest first at the deer. He wasn't even close. The teen flopped in the rocks in an anti-climactic way.

“I've got it,” Rachel said leaping over Drake. She had with her a rope. The deer dashed off, and she followed.

“I could never do all that running,” Megan said.

“All you have to do is give it your all Meg,” Drake said still face first on the ground. He propped himself up and stood, “Come on! We have to help. Even if we are bad at it,” Drake jogged over the rocky fields.

***

In the present Johnson was hanging around the outside of school far too early.
Students entering at the same time gazed at him sitting next to a wall. It was the place to usually find Oscar. Oscar was what Johnson was hoping for, and he did eventually arrive.

Unlike the other students Oscar actually stopped to talk to Johnson.

“Mr. Johnson…. What are you doing here?” He asked.

“Just, thinking,” Johnson said. Their eyes followed Josie entering the school, “...We have to do something about her,” Johnson hissed.

“Oh, we are. Ball and me are going to do a halloween prank,” Oscar said.

“Yes yes, the prank,” Johnson remembered, “How is that going?”

“It's ok. There's not a lot of planning right now. David won’t talk to me about it,” Oscar shrugged.

“Let him be in grief; he needs it,” Johnson looked away casually.

“Grief? What happened?... is it about Ball?” Oscar didn't know how to feel. It made sense for Johnson to come here if anything happened.