More in Common

In the driver's seat Oscar violently shook. They were in the driveway just outside the garage where the car had last been parked.

“How are the stats on your friends?” Ball asked.
Oscar took his phone out of his lap and turned it on.
“T-t-they all took it,” He inhaled, “A bit more serious after I told em what ha-happened,”

Rocky stood on the dashboard.
“Bleh,” He vomited on the windshield. Oscar slammed his head into the steering wheel, making the car bark.

“B-Ball I don’t think I’m ready for this,” He took his head off the steering wheel and sniffed, “I haven't even taken my permit test.”
“Nonsense, this is an emergency. Time is everything, and you know the way walking right?”
“But, what if I make an emergency by causing a acident.”
“An, accident, and you won't. You know how to get there, just forget the rules. if we get caught, the police will understand,” Ball said.

Oscar put his head up on the steering wheel again, but didn't press hard enough to make it bark. He waited for a moment and sighed.
“Ok…” He put the keys in and tried turning, but they wouldn't budge.
“Push on the brake!” Ball said.
Oscar pushed on gas pedal, and then finally on the brake pedal. The keys turned in and the car started.

Up the hill they rode at around 15 miles per hour. Oscar adjusted and looked through his rear view mirror. Behind him was a train of cars that were tired of being stuck behind him.
“Ehh,” Oscar said to himself, shivering.

“You could be a little faster but you're doing really great Oscar,” Ball looked through the trunk window from the back seat. A car barked. Oscar tensed up. Ball went to the middle seats and put the window down.
“LEAVE HIM ALONE HE'S LEARNING!” She screeched at them while sticking her head out the window.

When they returned to Yoyel City fires littered the streets. It seemed something had raided the first floor shops of the city. Nobody was walking the streets. It seemed cold, colder than it should.

David's apartment was on the left side of the road, so Oscar cut into the left lane to ‘parallel park' on the sidewalk facing the wrong way. He shifted it into reverse to try and fix his park, but before doing so he looked over at Ball. Ball shook her head at him.
“Just park here. We do not have time.”
Oscar, feeling the weight of time between him and his parents widen, nodded slowly.

They entered the double doors and found nobody at the front desk. They went up the elevator and thought the corridor to where David's apartment was.
Oscar knocked on the door weakly. While they waited Ball tapped her foot to his calf to calm him. He took a deep breath.

The door opened. Behind it was David's grandfather, who seemed more down than usual.
“Hey guys..” He said. He opened the door.
“Is there something upsetting you?” Ball worried for David.
“The news is reporting murder after murder! It's like the purge out there..” The elder said.

“May we come in?” Ball asked.
“Of course, but David's been under the weather. I'm not sure he's ready to do much,” David's grandfather, also called Cole, looked at Oscar, who was still tearing up, “Are you ok?” He asked. The lad looked so frail Cole geared up to catch him.
Oscar shook his head, and walked into the apartment past him.

Ball looked up at David's gramps.
“Oscar's parents were murdered tonight,” Ball said to him.
Cole's eyebrows went up in surprise and dismay.
“Both of them?” He stood stiff.
“Correct,” Ball said, “Excuse his grief.”
“No no, grief is accepted!” Cole waved his hands a bit before looking back into the apartment, “Come in.”

Ball did so. David's grandfather closed the door and headed straight for Oscar in the living room. He asked him if he wanted anything to eat or drink while Ball made her way to David's room. Outside of the living room was dim, but Ball trusted her memory as to where David's chamber was. She pushed the door open letting in a little creek of light.

“David?” She hiss whispered. She heard him stir, and breathe uneasily.
“Ball?” He sounded weak.
“I am here to check on you. You were not answering calls,” Ball said in a normal voice.

David whimpered.
“I'm sorry! I don't know what happened,” He coughed a few chuffs, “but I'm the the-most sick I've ever been! I can't breathe, I-I always feel dehydrated, I can't breathe, and everything else feels like it's on fire,” He breathed steadily but heavily like one recovering from a run.
“You said you cannot breathe twice,” Ball said.

“It's only because it's the most serious thing, next to the heat,” David stirred some more.
“What are you doing? I cannot see you,” Ball said.
David exhaled before being able to speak again.
“I'm just really, seriously uncomfortable,” He whimpered for a moment, and began to cry “Ah Ball! I'm scared!” He continued to pout in his endless pain.

“We should escort you to a hospital.” Ball suggested.
“What about Diggs? She said I was going to get sick, she knew. Maybe she can-” David cut himself off and madly thrashed around for about 2 seconds, “Sorry.”

“You think the gummies did this?” Ball asked him. Guilt started to weight on her breathing.
“It doesn't really matter does it?” David coughed a little again.
“It does if Johnson could help us,” Ball said, “I only came to get us all together and leave. The aliens killed Oscar's parents.”
David stopped struggling for just a moment.
No…”

“I'm afraid so. We need to go get Dora so we can leave Yoyeland and find shelter in another country. Can you walk?” Ball asked him. David sat up and swung his legs over the side of the bed.
“I am getting a wave of fatigue right now,” He huffed, holding is head.
“Do what you must,” Ball watched him.

David got up and took a few steps to the lightswitch. He flicked it on.
At first Ball didn't see anything different about him, but it became too clear this was no normal sickness as soon as she locked onto his face. David was just as he was, a man, but he was as pale as paper and his eyes were grey, vertical, little lines. Ball just stood there staring at his uncanniness with her mouth slightly open.

“Oh yeah, I know. I don't think this is a natural skin color,” David said. Ball waited for him to mention his eyes, but he never did.
“What about your eyes??” Ball asked finally.
“Are they a different color?” David asked.
“Well yes…  b-b-” Ball stuttered to a stop.
“Jeez, it's that serious..” He scratched his head and then began to rub his forehead. He had been leaning on the wall, and felt beyond empty.
Oscar went through the door behind Ball were he also locked with David's eyes.

“David!” He almost jumped, “You have Ball's eyes!” He shouted.
“What?” David coughed a little.
“David! You have line eyes! Your lines are eyes!” Oscar pointed to his own eyes.
“I have line eyes?!” He almost choked, “I HAVE LINE EYES??”
Ball and Oscar nodded.

“..I don't wanna look,” David sighed, now in a saddened state.
“You.. don't have to, er, We just need to get you and Dora to a hospital,” Ball said.
“What about leaving Yoyeland?” Oscar asked her.
“Er,” Ball thought about it.
“I don't think the hospital will let us leave in the time we want. You and Dora could be in care for-EVER. This is a new sickness!” Oscar said.

“And we still need to gather Johnson and Dora,” Ball thought hard about what she was going to do next, but it just looked like she was gazing off in the distance.

“We need to get Johnson to help us Ball," David said, "The doctors at the hospital don't know anything about what I have, but he does. Every second counts, so we'll split up. How about this,” He gulped before starting to shiver, “My gramps can drop Ball off at the Science Commission, and we'll go get Nelly. Then after Johnson is ready to leave we'll already be there with Nelly already. Aw,” He slammed his face on the wall and kept it there to try and get some relief.  

“What about my friends? I told them to meet me at my house so we could leave together,” Oscar said.
“Then we'll just go pick them up after we're done getting Ball and Johnson,” David said into the wall with his eyes closed. He then pushed himself off the wall and walked out through the door. He did so clumsily, as his fatigue seemed to stab at his headache.

“Gramps! We need to-” He was cut off by Cole's surprised expression, “Yeah-I-know.. We need to go to a friend's house. We're leaving Yoyeland with our lives.” He exhaled.
“But..” Cole hesitated.
“We're bringing a doctor with us. I'll.. I'll, be ok,” David said.