The Terrible Sound

In the dark she led Ball and Rocky into a vent, which had a ladder inside. Ball of course couldn't climb, so Dora had to carry her on her shoulder. Rocky had placed himself back into Ball’s backpack for convenience.

“So you've been hanging out with the boys huh?” Dora asked. She was using both of her arms so her phone's flashlight was shut down in her pocket.

“Yeah,” Ball just couldn't stop thinking about death. She closed her eyes and opened them again. There was no difference to what she could see.

“Oscar's a good kid. He really is like a kid for his age. Freshman boys can be immature but he is the ultimate. It's not like he's dumb or annoying he just, he's just immature. Don't worry about him though, he has friends he can be immature with. At least outside of school. You know who doesn't have any friends? David,” Dora was still climbing.

“No friends?” Ball decided to get more involved in the conversation.

“No, just acquaintances. He used to be more friendly heh, in elementary. I watched it all, his whole arch of unpopularity. It was because of Agren. Am I boring you or with this history lesson or should I keep talking?”

“You can keep going,” Ball said calmly.

“Ok, so in elementary school David was the most popular kid ever. We would have these unofficial wrestling matches during recess. It was really simple rules. One on one. Whoever falls over first loses. Now at first it was just fun and games, using gravity from a hill to do speed attacks, rushing around playsets, speeding in between swing sets, just kid stuff. That was until Agren moved here.

When Agren heard about this game he became the wrestling master. He didn't even play for fun, he played to dominate and win against other kids. Now David was really good at the game, some people say he created the game. Anyway Agren was playing rough, but David was really good, so naturally they began to fight against each other.

They battled many times, but eventually they were equals. Since they were so powerful, they decided to join together in tag team, and double battles. But since they spent so much time together, Agren’s bad sportsmanship started to rub off on David. David's grades started to drop, and so did his patience. He was careless, disrespectful, and just a major recess bully. Nobody wanted to play with him anymore. He became insecure and he just decided to lean on Agren because he was his only friend.

Now this kid by the 5th grade had an attitude and a reputation for disrespect was bent in a way he felt, couldn't be fixed, but that was before the accident. His parents were on some sort of flight home when the entire plane just vanished. Nobody knows where it went. It's a mystery. All anybody could say was that it was safe to assume that the plane had crashed somewhere, and that they had died. That just broke David's bent lil heart,” Dora stopped climbing and leveled off to a vent platform. Neon glow in the dark writing spelled out ‘to the F wing’ with an arrow and a psychedelic drawing of a teacher. Dora just sat as she continued her tale.

“He just stopped talking, and for a long time he was quiet, and collected. He's opened up more since then, but now I think he feels he just needs to make up for the mistakes that he had made as a kid. The mistakes that probably ticked off his parents the most. Now he's ‘no more attitude to authority, no more late assignments, and no more friends’ even though most people are not Agren. He reads all day long. Sometimes it isn't even fiction. He's evolved so much as a person that the principle let him be a part of the Yoyel 3. That or his essay was just really stellar.

He can still be a prick because he has such high standards for himself and others, but that's just because he doesn't ever want to be seen as anything lower than a respectable human being. Which he is very used to being to being the opposite,” Dora breathed, “I really need to learn to talk slower,”