Unmasked Ch.19

Ch.19

“How are you?” asked George.

“I'm fine, just a little upset about everything.” I answered, trying hard to focus on the food in front of me.

“We need to do something.”

“We can't remember, I can't go out in public ,” I shook my head and shoved in the last bite and went to wash the dish.

“We can go to my mum's then.”

“I don't know, George.” he spun me around to face him.

“You can't stay here and become depressed. Dumbledore knew what was going to happen, and like you said, he was going to die from poisoning later this year. He did this to help everyone, it's not your fault.” he smoothed down my hair that was sticking up in place.

I wouldn't say I had fallen into a depression, I was just so mad at myself. Even with George's help, it was hard to overcome the darkness and knowing that so many people out there blamed me for this whole thing hurt. I'd tried to protect them all my whole life and now the people I had come to trust and became friends with were turning against me just because everyone thought the Girl in the Mask was evil. I knew I had signed up for this life so I could save others, but right now I just wanted someone to save me. Apparently George had been up to the task because he had put so much effort into helping me that I became so mad at myself for not making everything easier on him. I felt I was disappointing him.

“Fine,” I managed to say before was darkness in me could remark.

“Good,” he kissed my forehead, filling me with a warmth I always felt when standing this close to him. It helped me forget everything for a second, but I knew I would have to get ready.

I went up, showered, and got dressed. I had on a sleeveless, frilled blue top. I put on black skinny jeans, a light black blazer, and blue heels. When I was ready I walked downstairs and saw George was already ready to go.

“Thanks,” I said as he pulled me in for a hug, knowing that I was still needing help getting over the evil that had tried to consume me yet again. I had a feeling it was getting worse knowing that Dumbledore's funeral was tomorrow. I knew I couldn't go, but I would visit the grave spot after everyone had left.

“Let's go,” he whispered in my ear and I closed my eyes as I felt the familiar tug. Once we landed I felt a sort of calmness come over me when I saw the unmistakable house just a little ways in front of us. George seemed to notice and pulled me closer to him as we continued to walk toward the house.

Once we got close enough to the house the doors banged open and Elena came running out, surprising me since I had thought she was still with Sal at Quidditch training. This past year she had opened her own decorating business and was getting tons of business. She launched herself at me and pulled me in for a hug.

“George contacted me,” was all she said, somehow managing to squeeze me tighter, pretty much suffocating. Yet I couldn't complain because I had missed her since we were only able to write each other when she was gone.

“I'm so glad you're here,” I said back with a smile on my face. She broke away with a large smile as well, giving George a hug too since she hadn't seen him either.

“Sal couldn't make it, because he has a really important championship to practice for, but he said he'll see you soon.”

“That's fine, I see enough of him anyway,” I joked as we all walked into the house.

“Abs!” Fred pulled me into a hug as soon as I walked in. He at least didn't suffocate me considering we had seen each other a lot anyway.

“Hey Fred,” I said, managing to break away from the hug easier than I could with Elena. Mrs. Weasley had stopped cleaning and ran over to give me a hug as well.

“I was so worried about you dear,” she told me. “Ginny wrote and said how worried she was about you and how she really wanted to talk to you.”

“Well I can't wait to see her tomorrow,” I said, knowing that everyone would be returning from school tomorrow.

I looked up and was surprised to see Bill and Fleur there, even though I had suspected they were dating ever since the TriWizard Tournament.

“Hey, Abby,” Bill said, pulling me in for a hug with a smile. I noticed Fleur looked a little uncomfortable being around me, which I totally could understand at the moment.

“Hey, Bill. What are you doing here?”

“Fleur and I are getting married here at the end of the summer!” my smile widened even more.

“That's great, I'm so happy for the two of you.” I gave him another hug and turned to Fleur. I had known Fleur and we were okay friends, but I have a feeling she became nervous after hearing everything in the paper. She gave me a shy smile before pulling me into a hug, surprising everyone including me.

“I know you can't be behind all of those things. Besides, Bill told me that you actually worked as a spy for Dumbledore and have helped protect a lot of people,” she whispered in my ear so no one else could over hear.

“Thanks,” I whispered back before pulling away and having George pull me against his chest again. He kissed my head and rested his chin there. I couldn't stop the blush and smile that came upon my face.

“You two make an adorable couple.” Fleur said with a small giggle. I glanced around to see everyone was watching us with a smile, causing George and I to blush even more.

“I know right, I got lucky,” George said, causing me to laugh.

“You mean I got lucky, who knows what would have happened if not for you,” I said.

“All that matters is that we have each other,” George whispered in my ear.

“I agree,” I whispered back. We all sat down in the living room. Mr. and Mrs. Weaslery, Bill, Fleur, Elena, Fred, George and I all got seated. As everyone went around telling different stories I felt the anger completely disappear. I felt free again, and most importantly, I felt happy again. I was just lucky to have George and I knew I would never take that for granted, no matter what happened. He made me a better person and I could never thank him enough.

I've found out over the years that even though life can turn into chaos and wars can go on around you, there's always someone out there to keep you grounded. My person was George and I knew that no matter what happened, he would always be there to rescue me from anything. He was my knight in shinning armor and I wasn't going to lose him, no matter what happens.