Unmasked Ch.41

Ch.41

“We are splitting up into groups,” I heard Professor McGonagall yell above the crowd, splitting up the groups of people.

I turned as George came up to me quickly. “Fred and I are securing the passageways in and out of the school. Where are you assigned?” he said, glancing around as he tried to find Fred again.

“No where yet, why?”

“Then you're coming with us.”

“You trust me to cover you?” I asked with a smirk.

“I wouldn't trust anyone else,” he pulled me with him, over to where Fred was standing with another group of people, him explaining where everyone would be at and what we were doing. When he spotted me, he gave me a soft smile before returning to address the crowd.

Before long we were all in the tunnels, making our way through them to make sure that that all the ways in and out were closed off. I was becoming more anxious by the minute and I could tell the others were as well. The battle was about to begin and as I heard more yelling coming from outside, I knew they were approaching.

For a second everything seemed to slow down as we all went off into our own directions, continuing to secure the building. Then it happened, the screams and sounds of explosions that told us midnight had come and there was no way to go back.

We all ran blindly, attacking anyone that was in a death eater's uniform, while all of us were hoping we would make it.

“You're a traitor!” one of the death eaters said as I ran into one of them, my wand pointed toward him. “Your father would be disgusted by you.”

“Actually, my dad would be furious with the thought that the one of his men was pointing his wand at me in a threatening manner. In his mind, that would be punishable by death,” I said glaring at him watching as he shrunk back some, not used to disobeying me. “That's what I thought. Avada Kadavra!” It should have scared me, knowing that in that moment I didn't care that I had just killed a man, instead it filled me with peace, knowing that this man could no longer harm anyone else.

I tried fighting my way through the crowds, trying not to attack some of the death eaters that I had once called my friends. I couldn't kill them, I couldn't even injure them, even though I wasn't on their side, I had still lived my whole life with them by my side. They seemed to realize that too and avoided me as much as I avoided them. It was either that, or my father had already warned them away from me.

I managed to finally get into a more secluded spot, trying not to focus on the flames blazing around me.

“Have you seen Remus!” I heard Tonks yell out in the distance, filling me with worry.

“He was dueling Dolohov, haven't seen him since!” I heard someone cry out in response. I knew right then that something had gone wrong, which brought the terror of all my past dreams back to me. Fred was in danger and I had to find him before it was too later. Before I could even stop to rethink what I was doing, I ran off into the direction I had in my dream, hoping that I wouldn't be to late.

I rushed toward a corridor, seeing Percy and Fred in the distance, ignoring the screams and yells around me. If there was only one person I could save, it had to be Fred, it just had to be.

“Hello, Minister!” Percy yelled, sending a jinx toward the minister that had been working for my father. “Did I mention I'm resigning?” I sped up, knowing what was about to happen.

“You're joking, Perce. You actually are joking, Perce... I don't think,”

“Move!” I yelled, finally reaching them and throwing Fred away from where I knew the blast would come from. Just as I moved him out of the way the air exploded. It was at that moment that I knew I was too late to move away, instead it hit me full blast, dropping me to the floor and causing me to black out slightly.