Unmasked Ch.33

Ch.33

“This school will be under a lock down from now on. You cannot return home, you cannot leave the school and you must not step out of line unless you wish to be punished.” I glanced over at Severus and gave him a pointed look. He sighed slightly before continuing to talk. “Of course there will still be the masked ball, but there will not be anymore shopping in town.”

There was not a single sound coming from the students. I had a feeling that all they could think about was if Harry was really out there trying to save them and their families or if he had truly abandoned them.

As days went on I began to see that more and more kids were getting tortured by my dad's followers. Sadly, I was no longer able to keep the harm away from some of them. The one main thing I noticed was that the muggleborns were starting to disappear.

It was Friday, the day before the ball and George had told me he would be at the school tonight. I had on a light brown and cream wool sweater that had a large print of a reindeer head on the front. I threw on skinny jeans, brown, lace-up ankle boots, a chunky brown bracelet and cream scarf. My hair was flat-ironed and half up, half down.

I walked quickly through the halls, on my way to talk to Severus when I heard muffled screaming. It was as someone had tried a sound proof spell, but hadn't been focusing on it completely.

I slammed open the door and froze at what I saw in front of me. So far no one had noticed me standing there, but it couldn't stop me from gasping in horror.

Alecto and Amycus were punishing students by forcing them to torture other students that had stepped out of line. I felt tears building as I saw Neville standing there with his wand pointed toward a boy that must have been in his 3rd year.

I took a step out of the room, knowing that I wasn't allowed to keep stepping in without people beginning to notice that I wasn't punishing people. I shut the door, walking even quicker toward Severus' office.

“What is it, Abigail?” Severus asked, rushing over to me as I entered his room, my face pale.

“Do you realize what is going on in this school?!” I said, holding back a scream of fury.

He sighed before coming over to me and leading me over to a chair. “You should sit down and breathe.” he said calmly, as if he knew this was coming.

“Why? Why are you allowing this?” I said, my voice shaking slightly as I stared up at Severus.

“Because I can't stop it Abby. Don't you see, your father is the one that has the power here, not me. He told them to punish students here that are supporters of Harry and that's what they're doing. I can't stop it, even if I don't agree with what's going on here.”

“Why didn't you at least tell me?” I whispered, trying not to explode and head back down to the room where Alecto and Amycus were. He sighed one more before beginning to pace in front of me.

“I couldn't tell you because I knew you were going to react like this.”

“How long has this been going on?”

“I don't know for sure. I found out about a month ago that this was happening.” I shook me head as he said this.

“I'm going to end this now,” I said, standing up and heading toward the door. Severus quickly latched onto my arm, refusing to let me leave.

“You don't seem to be understanding this,” he shook his head. “By stopping them you'll be causing rumors about which side you are really on. You can't help these kids if you decide to show that you're really here to protect them. Don't give up your act just yet.”

I went and sat back down in the chair. I wasn't sure what to say considering I was still shocked at everything that was going on at the moment.

“Are you okay?” he asked, worried as he watched me stare off into space.

“Yeah, I'm fine.” I told him before getting up and heading toward the door. “I'm just overwhelmed.”

“Be careful Abby. George should be here in a little while and until then try to stay calm.”

I walked out the door, walking through the halls and trying to breathe deeply.

“I can do this, I can do this,” I mumbled under my breath as I watched students walk past me quickly on their way to their classes.

As I continued walking, my vision became hazy and someone bumped into me. Luckily I had good balance, so I managed to stay standing and caught a hold of the other persons shoulder. I looked in surprise as I saw Ginny in front of me.

“Abby!” she said, throwing her arms around me and holding me close to her, as if I would disappear at any second.

“I'm here, I'm here. What's wrong?” I said, automatically concerned. I began looking her over to make sure she had no injuries.

“I can't take it here anymore,” she said, holding me even tighter as I tried to calm her down.

“They're hurting you, aren't they?” she nodded, a sob escaping her mouth.

“They're forcing me to hurt the others. I don't want to torture anyone.”

I slid down against the wall, she did the same and rested her head in my lap as I lightly stroked her hair.

“It's alright, Ginny. I'm always going to be here for you. Everything is going to be okay.”

“I don't know what to do anymore,” she whispered. “I couldn't help them, instead they made me hurt all the people that are on the same side as well. Why is this happening to us?”

“I can't do anything to help, Ginny. I'm not allowed to step in anymore because if would give away what side I'm really on. If that happens, everything will just get worse.”

She picked her head up and looked at me closely.

“I wish everything was back to normal.”

“So do I, Ginny.”

“Then why does everything seem to be getting worse. Nothing seems to be working out for any of us. When is it all going to end?” I saw tears in her eyes.

“I'm sorry, Ginny.” I held her close to me and she let out a few sobs. “Accio tissue box,” I muttered, watching it appear in my hand and giving her a few tissues. “I'll try to help you as much as I can, but I don't know if I help you as much as I wish I could,” I told her.

“I know,” she whispered as an idea bloomed in my head. I couldn't believe it had taken me so long to figure it out. “I should go to class.”

“I should go with you to explain why you were late. Who do you have?”

“Professor Flitwick,” she said.

“Great, at least you don't have one of the Carrows. I'm not in the mood to deal with the today.” she stifled a sad chuckle. “What?”

“You're hilarious when you get ticked off...well sometimes you are, other times, not as much.” She must have thought back to when I would snap at everything, which explained the long silence.

“I'm sorry if I hurt or worried you Ginny. I'm so sorry that I lost control like that.”

“It's not your fault Abby,” she said as we came to the door. “Sometimes you just have to realize that you shouldn't blame yourself for everything that goes wrong, you just have to accept that at points.”

I opened the door and told the teacher that Ginny had been with me before heading out the door quickly. I was too furious to even walk down the same hallway as the Carrow's classrooms. I avoided them like the plague as I went to wait for George to get here. I really needed a stress reliever considering I still had to set up for masquerade tomorrow.