8

….

After that, Ali felt a little dizzy. Deciding to go to bed, she walked into out. As she looked at the T.V., her eyes widened as she saw a beautiful face appeared before her. It’s a face that she couldn’t be more familiar with.

Before she knows it, she felt a tear landed on her hand.

He was in New York too! Even though she knew the reason that she can’t find a job was related to him, but she didn’t expect he was here too.

She quickly looked away. Her hand clutched her chest, trying to calm the pain in her heart. She can’t help it; she felt tears drops keep gliding down.

Ali, forget it. He doesn’t like you. You need to face reality. All you need to do was find a job.

After she calmed down, she turned off the T.V.

“Are you tired?” She asked as she walked towards Lucas.

He nodded. He slept on the same bed as her because there was only one bed, and she can’t let him sleep on the floor. Beside he looked way too innocent to do something inappropriate.

Lying on the bed, she hardly fell asleep for the whole night.

Lucas

Morning sun shone through the layers of curtains and landed on the two people in the bed. The girl had short black hair, her eyes half open, barely awake. The boy’s platinum blond hair glistened under the sunlight. His soft hair rested on the pillow, his long lashes curled up, and his pinkish soft lips slowly letting out a breath of air. The girl looked at the boy in a daze. 

When Ali woke up sleepily. A little surprised as she saw the boy next to her, but then remembered what happened yesterday.

Suddenly she seemed to remember something; her hand went up to hit her forehead.

She shook the boy next to her lightly, trying to wake him up. His eyelashes quivered a little like a butterfly wing, and then she saw his light blue eye looked at her. Suddenly, she forgot what she was going to say. One thought crossed her mind: how can a person’s eyelashes be that long. She looked back at his heart-meltingly gaze.

“Good morning.” She managed to say.

“Good morning.” He mumbled sleepily.

“I have school today. You have to stay in the house by yourself, ok?” She asked him.

“Umh.” He nodded.

She went to the bathroom to change her cloth. When she walked out Lucas already got out of the bed.

Quickly, she prepared some breakfast for Lucas and herself.

“If you’re hungry, there is food in the refrigerator.” She said.

“Umh.” He nodded again.

She realized he didn’t talk much this morning, but she wasn’t really bothered by it. Looking at time, she realized she is almost late, so she quickly finished her last bite and headed to school.

            The school was boring as usual.

The next morning, she and Lucas woke up about the same time.  She let Lucas stayed in her apartment while she went to school and find a job. Before she left, she told him where the foods are if he gets hungry.

After the school ended, she walked in to a store after store, but none of them said they’re hiring. This was the fiftieth store she was about to walk in today.

“Is this store hiring?” Ali asked a person doing who was doing paper work.

“Yea…” She stopped as she raised her head and saw her, and then said, “Sorry ma’am, we don’t need any worker at the moment.”

“You’re lying!” She couldn’t hold it in anymore.

“Sorry, but no one can go against Sullivan’s Company.”

She knows there was no hope, so she walked out. She hesitate, she don’t know what to do. Then she came up with a plan. She went to the bathroom, put her hair, than wore a hat, putting on some makeup that made her face look a little different, and then top it with a glasses. She stood in front of the Sullivan CEO. Taking a breath, she walked in. When walking in she felt all the anger almost vanish, now she finally knows what was the distance between them. In this colossal first floor, she felt so powerless, but she clutched her fist and kept walking.

“Is this company hiring.” She asked the front counter. The lady scanned over her weirdly.

“I am sorry, but we’re not.” She said unpleasantly.

I can’t give up. “Can I talk to your manager?”

She stared at her and then said, “Please hold.”

After a while a forty-year-old man wearing suit and ties walked over to her.

“Hi, I am the manager. What can I help you?” He said with a pleasant business tone.

“Do you know the Maple Company?” She asked him.

“Yes.”

“How come all the worker that worked at the Maple Company can’t be hire.”

“Sorry, I don’t know what you’re talking about.” His tone changed a little.

“I won’t go until I get an answer.” Ali was determined.

“Then I have no choice. Security guard, take this girl over here outside.” He spoke the last part in to a talking device.

Two people wearing black suit, they each took a hold of her arms, and was about to drag her out.

“You can’t do this! You can…” She screamed.

All of the sudden the whole place was quiet, and she can clearly hear the footsteps. She saw the manager and all the workers stood on the side and bowed. “Boss,” they said.