Chapter Forty

After they finished their supper, Elouise followed Leanne to her place where she would be sleeping during their stay. Leanne mentioned she had a bed above hers, and Elouise couldn't fathom what that meant until she saw it for herself.

"You'll take the bed on top," Leanne explained, gently taking Elouise's satchels from her.

Elouise hovered near the doorway, gazing wondrously around the room, and admiring the numerous little trinkets on the white shelves. Leanne was perhaps one of the few people in the village who had a second story to their home—a detail Elouise found herself immensely relieved about. Though Eldon's family had a cozy cottage, it felt overcrowded in there.

Leanne dropped the bags beside the beds and turned around. "It's just me and my pa here. You'll meet 'im later when he gets back from his short trip. You'll like 'im."

Elouise merely smiled.

"C'mon, Your Highness," said Leanne. "Don't feel weird here. I promise you'll be comfortable." Leanne leaned against the bedpost and crossed her arms.

"I apologize," Elouise said as she walked further inside. "The only time I've slept in another person's home was when we visited the Outlands. I struggled to sleep there every night. It has been difficult to sleep every night on our way here, too."

"Yer homesick. It happens to all of us. Took me weeks to sleep good in the barracks. But I'm gonna go check if my pa is back yet. I won't be long but come lookin' for me if you need anythin' at all."

"Thank you, Leanne. I appreciate you."

Leanne beamed and left.

Elouise then exhaled slowly and started to walk around the room, allowing her fingers to trail over the surfaces. Leanne had an open letter on her desk. Elouise curiously glanced over it when she recognized the script. And when she spotted the signature at the bottom, her heart dropped.

"Ivy," she whispered, reaching for the letter, except she quickly withdrew her hand. After all, it was wrong to read a letter that was not addressed to her.

But it was from Ivy.

Still, it was wrong.

Very wrong.

Elouise forced herself to turn away, biting her lower lip. She gazed sideways at the open door. There was no one else here. Who would know?

"You are a terrible person," she scolded as she turned right back around and picked up the letter.

It was lovely hearing from you, Leanne. It has been so lonely around here. I wonder when you'll return. Clawdia is doing well, though, thank you for asking. She adores the knitted mouse you made for her, just as I adore the necklace and bracelet you sent for me.

Elouise gasped. "Oh, no. Ivy's birthday." How long had they been gone? She lost track after separating from Eldon and Henry. Then after everything that'd occurred... Great Holy Deity. How long had they been gone?

She heard thuds on the wooden staircase and put the letter down. Then she tediously arranged it so that it wasn't even askew. She whirled around just as Leanne appeared in the doorway.

"He ain't back yet," Leanne informed her.

Elouise moved her hands behind her. "Oh, y-your father?"

"Yeah." Leanne glanced around and sighed. "So, how're you likin' it here?"

"Well, although I have not seen much, it is quite lovely."

"How 'bout I show you 'round? Give you the proper tour of Ilsen before the sun sets?"