Chapter Two

Right about now, if Eldon had to guess, Elouise was trying samples of cakes for the ball. She'd probably say it was for "quality purposes." The real purpose was to fulfill her need for sweets.

Eldon sighed and tossed aside the last bite of his sandwich. He watched a flock of seagulls—the very same that kept getting too close earlier—attack his leftovers like it would be their final meal.

"I hate birds," he grumbled.

"Don't be mean," Ivy said beside him. "I think they're precious!"

"I have to agree with Eldon," Henry said. He also threw the remainder of his lunch and wrinkled his nose when the seagulls fought over it. "Birds are quite the nuisance."

Ivy inclined her head, and her black hair fell over her left shoulder in silky waves.

"Why are you not happy, Henry? Tomorrow is your birthday! I am always happy on my birthday." She then flipped her hair away from her face and nodded at Eldon. "Aren't you always happy on your birthday?"

Eldon had never cared for his and doubted he ever would. If it weren't for the way Ivy narrowed her eyes at him, he would've stayed quiet. For someone with such a bright spirit—brighter than anyone else Eldon knew—Ivy sure could look terrifying whenever she wanted to.

Eldon nodded. "Always happy."

Ivy grinned. "Thank you."

Henry faced forward. His frown looked even deeper. "I suppose I merely wish Elouise could've come here with us."

Ivy paled. "Well, she wanted to be here, but you know she needs her rest to get better quickly. Don't worry, though, Henry. Once we get back, I'm sure we can get together with her and do something special." She side-eyed Eldon.

Eldon narrowed his gaze at her, and she mouthed a plea. Ivy also knew—too damn well—how to make others struggle to say no to her.

"Right," Eldon said to Henry. "Somethin' to look forward to."

Henry squinted at them. "I am going to get a drink." He stood and wiped down his dark brown trousers. As he started to walk toward the nearest hut, Ivy leaped onto her feet, kicking up sand in Eldon's direction.

"I'll join you!" she said, running to catch up with Henry.

Eldon ruffled his hair with his hand, shaking out some of the sand. He didn't have much time to waste, so he reached into his pocket and pulled out Ashton Ward's knight ring. He held it up to his face and furrowed his eyebrows.

"It's been a while since I last talked to you," he whispered into it. "Thought you were gonna be different, Ashton. Of course, you disappeared, too." He lowered the ring and groaned. "I don't get why you and every other voice that's talked to me won't just tell me what to do. Yer just wastin' our time by makin' us run 'round and tryin' to figure it all out. Ain't no harm that comes with the truth."

No response came. No surprise there.

Eldon stuffed the ring away and glanced to his right where he could see the silhouettes of the Southern Eastern mountains. White topped its tips, making them one of the only places in the kingdom that wasn't suffering from the sticky heat of halcyon. Eldon pulled on his collar and started to wave his left hand in front of his face.

Henry and Ivy returned shortly after, each of them holding a tankard. However, Ivy handed hers to Eldon, saying she was not interested. Eldon accepted and took a sip of the citrus watermelon drink, finally allowing himself to just relax. How could he feel any negativity when he had the brightest blue waters and the softest white sand in front of him?