Chapter Twenty-Six

"Come on, come on!" Noemi shouted, taking the lead down the heavy snowy path. "It's this way! This way!"

Elouise struggled to match her speed, but her curiosity helped push her forward. She'd seen a few signs miles back that told of a nearby village. Part of her feared they'd gone the wrong way entirely; or that the village no longer existed. After all, who would dare live here?

Noemi wholeheartedly believed they would find something. And for her sake, Elouise held onto that hope. Even if they merely found abandoned homes, they could at least have a place to stay for the night; especially with all the fresh snow falling onto them, dusting their clothes with flecks.

Noemi halted and gawked back at Elouise. Elouise quickly approached to see for herself.

Down below was indeed a village. Small but certainly inhabited. Each cabin had a lit torch beside their porch, and she spotted horses in stables, along with a few longhorn sheep in separate ones.

"C'mon, Ellie!" Noemi cried, rushing down the hill before Elouise could stop her.

"Noemi!" Elouise chased after her. "Wait!"

Of course, Noemi didn't quit running until she was near the first home and examining the pinto pony sticking its head out of its stall.

Elouise nearly lost her footing on her way down, finding herself stumbling toward the stables. After regaining her balance, she took a deep breath and calmly started to close the remaining distance between her and Noemi when a stern voice startled them both. She gasped and whirled toward the older woman standing in the middle of the rows, her hands resting on her hips and her unruly eyebrows pressed together. The deep wrinkles around them told Elouise this was her usual expression.

Noemi ran and hid behind Elouise.

"For the second time," the woman spoke again, "who are you and what are you doing here?" Elouise was dumbfounded, sputtering uselessly and unsure whether to respond at all or promptly leave with Noemi.

"Easy there, Grecia," said a young man stepping out of the small cabin. He sauntered down the short steps and faced Elouise, flashing her a dazzling grin that brightened his hazel eyes. "I apologize for my friend's hostility. We don't get many visitors up here. It seems she's forgotten her manners." This earned him a pinch on the arm by Grecia, and he hissed.

Noemi giggled, catching his interest.

He smiled softly at her. "And who is this?"

Noemi shielded herself again. Elouise reached back and touched her arm.

"She, ah... she is, she is my... my sister," Elouise informed them, averting her gaze.

"Really?" the young man asked, his brows playfully rising. He took a few steps toward them and inclined his head to get a better look at Noemi. "I suppose I could've guessed that. You both share the same beauty. It must run in the family." Then he winked at Elouise.

"My name is Sebastian," he introduced himself, extending his hand to her.

Elouise glanced down at it and briefly shook it. "I am Ellie." She nodded over her shoulder. "Her name is Noemi."

Sebastian's features softened. "It's nice to meet you, Ellie." Then he grinned down at Noemi. "And you as well, Noemi! Are you hungry? I heard they're cooking up something delicious at the tavern tonight."

Noemi furiously nodded. Sebastian offered her his hand.

"Come along, then." He gazed softly at Elouise again. "You and your lovely sister."

Noemi happily accepted Sebastian's hand. He led her down the path. Elouise took a step forward when Grecia stepped in front of her.

Grecia squinted—that ever-present frown hardening. "Your eyes are peculiar. Who are you, really?"