Molly...twenty one

Molly...twenty one     

by sloanranger

So it's about two weeks after the stand-down with the strike breakers at the factory. We're sitting in one of the old green booths at Joe's, waiting for our order.

I'm still off co-cola but I unwrap the straw and stick it in my ice water. We just got back from the picture show after watching, "The Heiress."

"Did you like the movie, Freddy?"

"It was okay, I guess, nothing special. She was pretty mean at the end. I mean - for the lovamike - her father was dying."

"Yeah, well he was pretty mean to her all through the movie."

"No, he wasn't, Moll. Just that one time when he didn't want her to marry Montgomery Clift when he said all that stuff."

"He broke her heart and made her lose Morris."

"But the guy didn't love her anyway or he would'na stood her up when they were gonna elope. He was the one who broke her heart. She was my daughter, I would'a done the same thing as her father."

"Did you like Olivia de Havilland?"

"That was Olivia de Havilland? Crissake; she sure didn't look like that in Robin Hood."

"You guys are all so blind, I'm not kidding, Freddy." He takes a sip of his coffee and nobody says anything for a minute.

"So Molly, you taken any cabs the last couple a weeks?" He grins a little.

I hesitate for a second but tell him the truth. "No, I've been walking, mostly."

"How do you carry your stuff from shopping?" He says.

I shrug: "Just don't buy as much."

He gives me his sleepy eyed look but I can tell he's concerned. "So, you haven't seen your friend much lately?"

I'm looking down, playing with the wrapper from the straw, folding it into a tiny square. But I look up and smile kinda cute-like: "You mean my admirer?"

He shakes his head, but he's smiling. "One of 'em, Molly," he grins. "Just one of 'em."

(To be continued).