Molly...thirty five

Molly...thirty five

by sloanranger

So Harvey helps me with my grocery bags and at my doorway, I give him the fare and fifty cents. But just like Tommy, he won't take the tip.

"Tom would fix my bacon, I took a tip from you," he smiled. "Besides, it's kinda like an understanding between us drivers. See you later, Missy," and he turned to go back to the cab.

As he opened the cab door...

"Harvey," I said, and he stopped. "Yea?"

"Tell Tommy I said hello."

He smiled, nodded and drove off.

Inside, I take my bags to the kitchen and begin putting the food away, except for some of the vegetables. I set aside: onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, zucchini squash, an ear of corn and a big can of tomatoes – so I can make 'a big soup' like Frank said.

I scrub the vegetables and cut the 'bad' spots off everything. I hardly ever peel anything, my Aunt taught me that, it's more nutritious and tastes better too. I slice and put the root vegetables in a big pot of water with salt and pepper and the canned tomatoes and a few spices. I save the celery and squash and any other green stuff till just before serving so it'll look pretty. I have some parsley in the icebox that I need to use soon, so I'll add that too with the other greenies. I'll scrape that fresh corn from the cob into it, as well.

I no sooner get the lid on the pot when the phone rings. My heart lurches like it has every time the phone rings since Freddy broke up with me that night.

(To be continued).