Molly...twenty

Molly...twenty           

by sloanranger

The minute I step into his store, Frank's all eager: "Molly, come over here and look."

"What is it Frank - more tomatoes?"

"Better than that," he says, in his smooth Portuguese accent.

And I see them then, there - on their own display table - Concord grapes – all purpley and beautiful.

"When did they come in?" I say.

"Yesterday," he's proud and smiling because he knows how much I love them.

"How come they're such a big deal lately - purple grapes?" I ask. "Grapes are supposed to be purple, aren't they?"

"I always thought so. But they come from all over, now – imported - so they started breeding the red, green and black ones 'cause they got thicker skins, I guess... keep longer for shipping. I don't know, Molly."  

"My grandma had Concord grapes in her garden," I say. "She made her own jam and grape juice with them."

"Yes, they still make the juice and jam with them. Have to," Frank says, "the other ones don't have enough flavor."

"Tell me about it," I say.

Then I notice something. "Frank Mello did you get new shoes?"

"A few days ago, but..." he starts to blush then.

"Well, will you just look them? I mean, they're darling, Frank, absolutely darling."

"Just a pair of loafers, Molly," he said, getting red and bashful.

"They are not! They're just adorable - an' I'm going to bring Freddy in to show him next time, so he can get a pair just like them."

"Oh, Molly," Frank says, grinning and tongue-tied.

(To be continued).