Molly...nine

Molly...nine                                

by sloanranger

So we were at the New Year's dance at the plant the other night and a funny thing happened.

Freddy's gone to get us some punch. I'm sitting beside his sister, trying to make conversation which if you knew Henrietta, you'd know is like trying to get blood from a stone.

"How's your Ma, Henrietta?"

"Okay."

"Well. That's good." I say. "That's a nice dress you have on."

"Thanks."

In desperation I look over to the refreshment table and Freddy appears to be having words with a couple of guys. One of them I've met, Billy; the other one is some big lug I've never seen before.

I'm getting nervous because Billy is poking Freddy in the chest and the big one is looking angry. Freddy's a nice guy but you can't push him too far and he's looking mad, too.

So I get up and walk over to the table like nothing's wrong.

"Freddy, Henrietta and I are perishing from thirst over there."

I'm smiling real sweet, though.

"Oh, Hi Billy," I turn, pretending to notice him for the first time.

He stutters, "H-i-i, Molly."

"Where's Muriel?"  I say, all innocent. Muriel is his girlfriend, but she used  to go out with Freddy a while back.

"We're sitting over by the exit," Billy says.

I stand up on tiptoes, pretending to look for her.

"Well, tell her that we said hello, okay, Billy?"

"Yeah, sure, Molly," he says, distracted.

The big guy and Freddy are still glaring at each other.

"Freddy, grab those cups and come on. Henrietta will be telling your Ma that we didn't take care of her." 

I put my arm under his and pull him back to our seats.

(To be continued).