Molly...ten

Molly....ten                             

by sloanranger

We're standing on my doorstep and Freddy can't come in because Henrietta's waiting in the car. Henrietta's the reason he's bashful about kissing me goodnight, too.

"So what was all that about with Billy at the dance?" I say.

"Nothing, just some mess about work."

"Anything to do with Muriel?"

He gives me kind of an exasperated look: "No, Molly."

"And what did that big guy have to do with it?"

"I told you, nothing. I'll call you tomorrow Molly, okay?" And he gives me a quick peck on my nose and takes off.

So the next day, I take the bus to Frank Mello's Grocery Store and buy a few things. I'm going to cook dinner for Freddy. Maybe I can get him to tell me what's going on at work.

"Got some nice fresh tomatoes, Molly," Frank says at the check-out. Frank knows everything there is to know about produce.

"Well, maybe you better get me few," I say, and he sends someone to get them.

Frank calls me a cab then, to go home; it's a lot easier with the groceries.

"Well, hey, Sugar, the cabbie says getting out of the cab, smiling large.

"How are you, Honey?"

"Well, if it isn't the man with the sweet tooth," I say, but the corners of my mouth aren't going along with my sarcasm.

(To be continued).