Molly...thirty four

Molly...thirty four

by sloanranger

"You must be Molly," he says.

"Yeah, why? " I say.

"'Cause you're the one Tommy was always talking about, right?" You live at 134 Nutmeg Street?"

"That's my address, but I'm sure I don't know what you mean," I say.

"Come on, girlie, Tommy was nuts about you."

I note the word, 'was.'

"There was a driver named Tom used to pick me up from this cab company," I admit.

"Sure. You're the little lady almost got us into that to-do with them strike-breakers behind Benson Freight - over on Mc Adams, right?"

He swivels around in his seat the way Tommy used to then sticks out his hand. "Name's Harvey," he says, "nice ta'meet'cha." I take his hand and he shakes mine vigorously. Then he pulls away from the curb.

I get quiet for a while.

Finally, we're approaching my street and I say: "That was real nice of you guys to help out – nice of Tommy to call you, too."

"Aww," he says, "that wadn't nothing. Only sorry those guys hadn'a backed down so quick - we'd 'a showed 'em 'a thing or two."

"Well, it was real nice of you to come and I never thanked you, so thank you."

"Like I said," he says, pulling up in front of my little house, "wadn't nothing."

(To be continued).