Chapter 16

I sat back in a chair, tossing a knife in the air and catching it skillfully, listening to the rustling of paper as Viggo looked through some documents. 

"Can you please stop doing that." Viggo piped up, causing me to turn and look at him.

"Stop what?" I asked. Viggo sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose with his thumb and forefinger, holding the document he had been reading loosely in his other hand. 

"Listen, I know this is boring, but you just need to bear with it." Viggo remarked. We had been on this ship for a while now. I tried my best to occupy myself with little things that needed to be done around the ship, but it wasn't enough to keep me from boredom. Of course, I had told Viggo about what the riders thought I was and he agreed that, that was a perfect cover. We came to an agreement where I was allowed to tell the riders about stuff, but only things that Viggo allowed me to tell them. Only this morning, Viggo had told me that he wanted to have Hiccup meet him on an island so they could come to an 'agreement'. 

"Sorry." I muttered, putting the knife back in its sheath which was hidden in my boot. I looked out the window, watching the clouds go by before turning back to Viggo. "So what is this 'agreement' that your hoping to come to with Hiccup." 

"I'm not actually planning on coming to an agreement with Hiccup. I have something else in mind." I raised an eyebrow, confused. Viggo seemed to notice because he gave me a look that said he'd explain later. The ship suddenly jerked, causing me to loose my balance and fall backwards in my chair. "Are you alright?!" Viggo asked, worry evident in his voice. I propped myself up on my elbows and looked over at him to see he had stood from his chair, watching me with a worried expression on his face. 

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just lost my balance." I stated, rubbing the back of my head sheepishly. In just a few strides, Viggo was in front of me, his hand held out for me to take. I reached out my hand and placed it in his. Viggo pulled me to my feet, making it so that we were breaking each other's personal space. I looked up at Viggo, realizing how much taller he was compared to me as we looked at each other. Viggo cleared his throat, causing me to break eye contact and take my hand from his grasp as he backed up a couple steps. 

"I'm going ashore. I suggest that you stay on the ship unless... unless you wish to accompany me?" Viggo said sounding nervous. 

"I'll come with you, if that's alright." I stated. Viggo nodded, walking out of the captain's quarters, up to main deck, and onto the small island we had stopped at, myself in tow. I looked at the island curiously until we got to a field of blue oleanders with a small, stone table and a wooden stool in the center. As we got closer, I noticed a Maces and Talons board placed on the table.

"I would come here with my grandfather when I was younger so we could play in silence." Viggo explained, sitting in the stone chair. I came up behind him, placing my hand on his shoulder pad as I looked at the board curiously before realizing something. 

"Viggo, there's a piece missing."

"Indeed. The Honorable Chief. The piece my grandfather gave me after beating me in the last game I played with him and the same piece I gave Hiccup. I'm certain he'll be returning it when he arrives." Viggo explained, sounding very confident. 

 "You mean if Hiccup comes."

"No, I used the correct wording, my dear." Viggo remarked, staring at the board quizzically. I gave him a confused look. Suddenly, I heard footsteps approaching. I turned to see Hiccup walk over and place the missing piece on the board. 

"I think you're missing a piece." 

"You came! I'm surprised." Viggo remarked, grinning as he looked up at Hiccup. 

"No your not, otherwise you wouldn't be sitting in a field of flowers that are poisonous to dragons, your newest hunter at your side for protection." Hiccup stated matter of factly, moving to the other side of the table. I stood up straighter, giving Hiccup a threatening look. 

"A man has to take precautions. I noticed you arrived with some friends yourself." 

"Like you said, precautions." I tuned out the conversation for a few minutes as I looked around. Toothless was pacing at the edge of the blue oleanders, watching us while Heather and Astrid were flying above. Suddenly, something slammed against the table and I turned, seeing Viggo who was now standing, gesturing to a map that he had placed on the Maces and Talons board. Viggo had drawn a line in the middle of the map, saying that everything south of the line was Hiccup's to explore while everything above the line was his. I studied the map, curious as to what this had to do with Viggo's plan. I watched as Viggo signed the map before holding the charcoal pencil out to Hiccup. Hiccup said that he'd think about it, taking the map before walking over to where Toothless was waiting. 

"Now, the plan unfolds." Viggo stated, standing up straight with his hands resting on his hips as he looked at me, but I wasn't paying attention. All that I was thinking about was that map and why Viggo had signed it if he wasn't actually planning on making an agreement with Hiccup.