Chapter 33

"So your great plan for getting Hiccup out of the way is putting a price on his head?" I asked, watching over Viggo's shoulder as he finished the last details on his 'Wanted' poster. 

"Do you have a better idea, my dear?" he asked, looking up at me. 

"No." I mumbled, looking away to avoid eye contact. 

"Then this, Melia, is the plan." Viggo stood, rolling up the poster before turning towards me. "I'm going to send you with Ryker and a few hunters to wait for the bounty hunters to bring us Hiccup." 

"Wait. Your sending me on a mission with Ryk? No offense Viggo, but your brother despises me." 

"Exactly why I'm not sending you and him alone." Viggo stated. He gently grabbed my chin and tilted my head up slightly, kissing me gently on the lips. "Don't worry, my dear. You'll be perfectly fine." I sighed. 

"I'll only know that your reassuring words are true when I return in one piece." I muttered. Viggo chuckled, releasing my chin before giving me the poster that had been in his hand. 

"Be safe, Melia." I smiled, reaching up to give him a quick kiss on his cheek before turning to leave his tent. Just as I was about to move the tent flaps aside, I turned to look at Viggo once more. 

"You know, if I didn't love you, I would be on Berk celebrating their four-hundredth anniversary instead of helping you see this through." I commented before slipping out of the tent. I pulled the hood of my cloak over my head and stuck the poster in my satchel which I had hidden under my cloak, walking towards the docks where I knew Ryker was. 

"Prepare to set sail." I heard Ryker call out to a few hunters that were on and around a small hunters' fishing boat. It took only a few moments for Ryker to see me approaching. "What are you doing here, Pest?" Ryker spat, glaring down at me from where he stood at the ship's railing. 

"Viggo's sending me with you to retrieve Hiccup from the bounty hunters." I informed, crossing my arms over my chest. 

"Why?" 

"I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm useful. The dragon riders won't let Hiccup go so easily since he's not only their leader, but he's their friend. If you wish to get back here mostly uninjured, I suggest you let me help." Ryker narrowed his eyes at me, but didn't protest anymore. I walked up the plank and onto the ship's deck, glancing around. There were quite a few hunters on the ship already and at least three more hunters boarded before the plank was pulled onto the ship. I glanced up at the island, the back of my neck prickling like someone was watching me. I scanned the island before finally catching sight of Viggo watching me from far inland. I gave him a small wave which he returned before turning to look out at the horizon as the ship started to move. I walked up to the front of the ship, sitting by the railing as I watched the ocean. 

"Pest." I sighed, looking up at Ryker who was staring down at me. 

"Yes, Ryk?" 

"I am to be leading this mission which means you follow my orders. Understood?" Ryker informed. 

"I understand, Ryk." Ryker smirked, seeming pleased that for once he was going to be in charge of me before walking off to do whatever. I sighed, leaning back against the railing as I closed my eyes, pulling my hood low over my eyes in hope to get some rest on our journey.