Chapter 14

I walked behind Viggo who, for some reason, was carrying the chest with all of Berk's gold with him onto the ship we were escaping on. We had to leave because Hiccup and the riders escaped with the help of a Hotburble, and they had released a whole bunch of dragons from their cages, causing a commotion all throughout the island. Suddenly, I heard the ear splitting sound of a Night Fury soaring through the air at a fast pace. As I turned, I saw it was Hiccup and Toothless flying towards us. 

"Why don't you go below deck and hide. I'll meet you after I deal with Hiccup." Viggo suggested. I looked at him and nodded, running past him and down the steps that led below deck. I quickly looked around for a place to hide, just in case Hiccup overpowered Viggo and decided to come look for me, the hooded hunter that was around Viggo almost all day. Suddenly, a thin, scaly green dragon tail was wrapped around my waist and I was pulled back only to hit the scaly stomach of the dragon whose tail was around my waist, the dragon's wings enveloping me as the dragon's legs locked me against its body. I looked up at the dragon to see Leafblender just before he cloaked. 

"Leafblender, what are you doing?" I asked in a hushed voice. 

"Hiding you. You're welcome. Now, hush." Leafblender hissed. We stayed silent, watching the dark corridor of the ship as it started to move. The fact that the ship in itself hadn't started to sink yet was a good sign, but that didn't mean the riders weren't on the main deck with Viggo as their captive. Suddenly, footsteps echoed throughout the corridor of the ship. "Stay here, Alpha." Leafblender hissed before letting me go, so he could check the corridor. I stood in the corner of the cage, staying silent and perfectly still. I listened for the sound of a Night Fury or even the clanking sound of Hiccup's metal leg hitting the woo- Wait a minute! I stopped leaning against the cage wall and started walking to the cage's doorway. If Hiccup was the one who had come down here, then me and Leafblender would've heard his metal leg clanking against the wood with each step, so it couldn't be Hiccup. As I exited the cage, I listened around for Leafblender when the thud of a body hitting the wooden floorboards, the clank of metal, and the roar of a protective Changewing echoed throughout the corridor. I ran down the corridor and through a doorway that led to where I had come into the lower deck to find Leafblender on top of someone, growling like nobody's business, a sword with small rubies embedded into the hilt laying to the side. Wait a minute. I'd seen that sword before. 

"Leafblender, no! Get off of him!" I ordered, running over and gently pushing the dragon so that he got my point. Leafblender growled in confusion, but obeyed, revealing that Viggo had indeed been the one that the Changewing had tackled. 

"Friend of yours?" Viggo asked, eyeing the acid spitting dragon warily. 

"Sorry. He was just trying to protect me." I apologized, quickly helping Viggo to his feet. 

"I guess I won't need this then." Viggo commented, scooping up his sword and putting it into the sheath strapped to his back. I was thankful for him putting away his sword because it calmed Leafblender down, but as I watched Viggo, I noticed something was missing. 

"Viggo, where's all of Berk's gold?" I asked, realizing that Viggo no longer had the chest. 

"No need to worry about that. The riders aren't following us, that's all that matters." Viggo stated, as he walked past me and down the corridor, his hands clasped behind his back. 

"Wait? You gave it back to them? But... What was the point of carrying it to the ship if you were just going to give it back?" 

"Oh, Melia." Viggo tisked as he stopped walking and turned back towards me. "I didn't give the gold back to them. All I gave them was a chest filled with pieces of iron ore." Leafblender walked over and sat next to me, giving me a confused look as I processed what Viggo just told me. 

"So the gold..." Viggo held out his right hand which was balled into a fist and twisted it, opening his hand palm up with one of Berk's gold coins in between two of his fingers. I stared in amazement, earning a smirk from Viggo. 

"The gold is in another chest which resides in the captain's quarters of this ship." Viggo revealed, tossing the gold coin to me which I caught easily. I looked down at the coin in my hand, almost needing proof that this was actually part of Berk's gold stash. 

"How did you..." I trailed off, my mind trying to find the right words to describe what he had just performed. 

"A slide of the hand. Now, if you excuse me, I have some things I must attend to." Viggo stated, turning back around and walking down the corridor to the captain's quarters. 

"Alpha, are you okay?" Leafblender asked. I looked at the coin once more before pocketing it, nodding in confirmation. 

"Why don't you and I go for a flight."