Chapter 18

I stood next to Viggo, looking up at the massive, boulder class dragon known as an Eruptodon. Never in my life had I ever seen a dragon such as this. So far, it seemed quite mellow, but then again Hiccup said so was the Buffalord until they tried to remove it from its island. 

"Prepare to fire the dragon root arrows." Ryker called out. I looked around to see multiple hunters prepare to fire. 

"Wait!" I exclaimed, causing Ryker to glare at me. 

"What are you doing, pest!" Ryker spat, venomously. 

"The Eruptodon is a boulder class dragon, right?" I started, glancing at Viggo who was watching me with a glimmer of interest. "If you recall, Ryk, dragon root doesn't affect boulder class dragons. Therefore, instead of knocking it out, you'll just aggravate it." Viggo had an impressed look on his face while Ryker was grumbling something, most likely insults, under his breath. 

"What do you suggest we do?" Axel asked, lowering his bow and arrow. I thought for a moment before looking up at the Eruptodon, an idea blooming. I walked around the Eruptodon so that I was standing in front of it and pulled a small yellow fruit that I found on the island out of my satchel, holding it up to the Eruptodon. It bent down, sniffing at the fruit before gently taking it out of my hand and eating it with a quick "thank you". 

"I know that you like this place, but my friends and I want to bring you to a place where the lava tastes like it's from Valhalla." I whispered to the Eruptodon, scratching the scales on its chin. The Eruptodon looked at me with disbelief, but soon gave in, following me as I walked around it and towards the path. I motioned for the group to start walking and they obeyed, the Eruptodon following them as I stood, watching, my arms crossed. Ryker started to walk past, but I stopped him, grabbing an arrow from his quiver. 

"What are you up to now, pest?" Ryker asked, turning to watch as I placed the arrow by the entrance the occupants of the village would most likely come through. 

"If Queen Mala ends the riders' judgement with them being friends of dragons, which she will, we'll need to show that hunters have been here while the guys were distracting them." I explained as Viggo ordered two hunters to stay here and misdirect the riders. 

"Whatever you say, pest." Ryker remarks, walking away from me. 

"I believe it's a great idea." Viggo states, coming up from behind me. I smiled in thanks as we started walking after Ryker. We walked in silence before Viggo started speaking again. "I have a small group going on the ship you and I went on, sailing north. I'm hoping you will lead that small group." 

"Let me guess. This ship is the one you're using to misdirect the guys." Viggo smiled, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. 

"I'm so glad you understand." I chuckled, shaking my head. 

"Fine, I'll lead them as long as I get the first move in our game of Maces and Talons." Viggo made a face that showed me he had to think about it. 

"Fine. You get first move." Viggo remarked, sounding reluctant. I rolled my eyes, giving him a look that said 'you're not going to die so don't be so dramatic' causing him to laugh. Finally, we got to the ships, most of the hunters leading the Eruptodon to the large, main ship in between all the other hunter ships. I looked over at the small ship I arrived on with Viggo to see a group of about ten hunters standing on the deck of the ship and Leafblender who was sitting on the mast, waiting for me. I was about to walk towards the ship when someone grabbed my wrist. I turned to see Viggo who quickly let go of my wrist and clasped his hands behind his back. He averted eye contact, but I could see the embarrassed look on his face. 

"Viggo, are you okay?" I asked, tilting my head a little so that I could see his face. 

"Sorry. My actions were... uncalled for. I just..." Viggo trailed off, looking up at me. "Promise me you'll be safe." Viggo remarked, surprising me. 

"Are you..." I trailed off, thinking back to the few times when he acted like this. When he acted... Out of character. I smiled sweetly. "Of course, I'll be safe. Besides, the only people in the group that don't know who I am are Fishlegs, whose dragon won't be able to keep up with me, and the three dimwits of the group." I reassured him. He gave me a nod before turning towards the main ship and walking away. As I started walking towards the other ship, I realized something in my head. Viggo cares about me, and I care about him.