Chapter 59

I stood nearby, watching as Axel and another hunter tied Ruffnut to a wooden post using ropes. 

"That should be quite enough you two. Report back to your stations." I ordered them in the fake formal voice I'd begun using to keep my identity from Ruffnut. The two hunters nodded at me before walking off, heading for the stairs that led out of the pit. When they were far enough away, I made my way over to Ruffnut, glancing around to make sure no one was watching. When I turned to look at her however, Ruffnut head butt me in the forehead, hard. I fell back on my rear in both pain and surprise, my hood falling off. "What the heck was that for?!" I hissed, dropping my formal voice as I glared up at Ruffnut, rubbing the already forming bump on my forehead. Ruffnut eyes widened in surprise as she immediately recognized me. 

"Mel-" I quickly stood and slapped a hand over her mouth, shushing her. 

"Are you trying to get me caught?!" I whisper-yelled, pulling my hood back up as I released Ruffnut. 

"What are you doing here?" Ruffnut asked, a look of shock appearing on her face, "Have you defected to the hunter side?!" 

"What? No! I took up Heather's position of spying on the hunters for the team." I explained, glancing over my shoulder to see if anybody was watching us. "I've just about earned Viggo's trust and I couldn't have you ruining it. That's why I had to keep it a secret from you." 

"Does Hiccup know?" 

"Of course Hiccup knows! So does Astrid, Heather, Storm, and Dagur. We didn't want you or the others knowing because the less people know the better I succeed. For example, Heather when only Astrid knew." I explained. 

"It's nearly time. Everybody into position." I heard a hunter call out, turning to see hunters starting to leave the pit, a few coming up beside me. 

"Miss, you better get back to Viggo. The riders will be here soon." I started to nod in understanding when I suddenly heard Ruff mutter something under her breath. I turned raising an eyebrow when one of the hunters beside me fell to the ground unconscious, a hammer seeming to be the reason for his sudden black out. 

"Tuff!" Ruffnut called out from behind me, drawing my attention to her twin who came swinging down on a rope kicking me straight into the other hunter. Luckily, I wasn't knocked out, the hunter under me however wasn't so lucky. "You gotta get out of here." I heard Ruff tell Tuff. I glanced up to see Tuffnut tugging at his twin's ropes just as he said, 

"I'm not leaving you." 

"Tuff! you have to run." 

"No! I'm staying." 

"Please. You can't save me if you're tied up with me." I stood drawing my sword. 

"Your twin has a rather excellent point, my friend." I remarked in my formal voice, making Tuff turn. He glanced between me and the approaching hunters. 

"Actually, sis, that's a good point." he stated, rushing up a ladder that'd been beside him, a hunter following after him. I sighed in relief, sheathing my sword, flinching when two hunter fell off the platform. 

"You two okay?" I asked, using my formal voice to make Ruff believe that's how I talked around the hunters as I walked over to help them up. 

"Yes. We're fine, miss." 

"Good. Then get your butts back into position. The riders will be here any moment." I ordered, ushering them towards the stairs, glancing over my shoulder at Ruffnut before following them. I made my way up the stairs and to where Viggo and Ryker were, watching as Viggo said something to Ryker before the older Grimborn made a gesture. "What's going on?" I asked, as I came up beside them, freezing when I heard rushing water. I turned towards the pit to see that a hunter had opened the gates, water rushing in. 

"So this is your great plan, huh?" Ruffnut called up to us before the water surrounded her. "It's actually not that bad. Uh, kind of gruesome." I stared down into the pit horrified. This wasn't supposed to happen. 

"I didn't agree to this!" I exclaimed, staring fearfully up at Viggo. 

"Who said you had a say?" Ryker remarked, smirking down at me. I was about to argue when I caught sight of Snotlout and Fishlegs flying into the pit, Hiccup, Astrid, Storm, and Barf and Belch all attacking hunters. I glanced around desperately trying to find someway to help. Suddenly, I felt smooth scales brush against my arm. 

"Leafblender. Assist the riders, but don't be seen." I muttered under my breath to the invisible Changewing beside me. I heard Leafblender give a soft put before a gust of wind hit me. I watched with the Grimborn brothers as the riders fought, every now and then a hunter would be hit with an acidic blast, but, as far as I knew, I was the only one that noticed among the three of us. All seemed to be going well until Stormfly was hit by a catapult boulder, knocking Astrid off her back. Hiccup and Toothless dove, saving Astrid in time, both Toothless and Stormfly landing on a construction platform. 

"Let's finish this, shall we." I stiffened at those words, my gaze shooting towards Viggo as some hunter took dragon proof chains and threw them over the pit, trapping the riders. "You know, Hiccup, when your opponent presents you with the opportunity to wipe out all of his pieces at once, it is the cunning player who seizes the moment." Viggo called before ordering a hunter by the gate's lever to open it wider. 

"No!" I exclaimed, running forward only for Ryker to grab my arm. 

"Don't even think about it, Pest." I turned towards the pit ready to whistle for Leafblender to shoot the chains when a shrill dragon's cry hit my ears. I turned my head to see a hunter had shot an arrow at Leafblender, piercing the scales underneath his wing. That area has always been a weak point to dragons that only had two wings. Prying myself from Ryker's grasp, I ran towards Leafblender, falling to my knees before him. Axel, to my surprise, appeared beside me, helping me by carefully raising Leafblender's wing as I pulled the arrow out of the tender spot. 

"Shush, Leafblender. It's okay. Everything will be okay. Just relax." I reassured Leafblender, barely registering the familiar Thorston battle cry or the breaking of dragon proof chains. It was only when I felt a familiar shadow loom over me that I turned, glaring up at Ryker. "You did this." I snarled, gripping on of Leafblender's horns to keep myself from lunging at him. 

"No, you did. You ordering your dragon to attack our men is the reason it got shot down!" Ryker exclaimed, glaring back. Fury in my eyes, I lunged forward and punched Ryker square in the face, Axel restraining me before I could do any worse. "Why you little-" 

"Brother!" Ryker turned at Viggo's call, glaring at the hunter chief. 

"She-" 

"You provoked her. What did you expect?" Viggo argued calmly. Ryker looked as though he was going to argue some more, but he kept his mouth shut and stormed off. It wasn't until Ryker was out of view that Axel finally let me go, allowing me to sink to my knees beside Leafblender. He rested his head on my lap, purring as I pet him, distracting him from the pain. I heard Viggo say something about medical supplies before Axel dashed off, giving me a reassuring pat on the shoulder as he went. "Melia..." Viggo spoke softly as he kneeled beside me. I kept my gaze on Leafblender, trying to keep my hands from shaking and the tears in my eyes. It was only when Viggo placed a hand on my shoulder that I couldn't hold it in any longer. I leaned into Viggo, hugging him tightly as I sobbed, my fear for Leafblender and anger at Ryker taking an extreme toll on me. Viggo held me close, smoothing my hair down as he tried to sooth me. "I'm sorry." he whispered, "I'm so sorry."

<Oh no... Poor Leafblender. Don't worry, guys. He'll be fine, but gosh darn it Ryker. When Melia was just warming up to you, you had to go and ruin everything! Hope you guys enjoyed and are ready because we're so close to the part of this story I've been waiting for since the beginning. "Shell-Shocked" Part 1 and 2! See you guys soon!>