Part 40

Carter pulled me outside to see the gazebo with hundreds of candles surrounding it.

I could hear my gasp. "Carter..." I said softly.

Slowly as I approached the gazebo as Carter followed me with a smile.

I sat on a step and saw a stringed instrument. "What's this?" I asked him.

He sat next to me and said, "Well, I like to catch some music on the radio and I heard a song I wanted to play for you on this."

He lifted the instrument and rested it on his lap and his fingers danced gently on it as he played a lovely tone. "This is called a Watitiko. Air nomads used play it on holidays. I learned to play it as a kid so, all I had to do was learn to play this song I heard on the radio a lot."

He started to play a different tone that seemed to just sink into my heart, ears, and mind.

He started to sing the first line and I didn't realize how beautiful his singing voice is.

I found a love for me

Darling just dive right in

And follow my lead

Well I found a girl beautiful and sweet

I never knew you were the someone waiting for me

'Cause we were just kids when we fell in love

Not knowing what it was

I will not give you up this time

But darling, just kiss me slow, your heart is all I own

And in your eyes you're holding mine

(The song he is playing is "Perfect" By Ed Sheeran) Carter was in the middle of the song when I felt the tears form in my eyes.

It was so nice to have a birthday without it be a reminder that I was a mistake.

When Carter finished my face was tear stained and he had some tears forming in his eyes.

I pulled him in a tight hug. "Carter, that was amazing."

He hugged me tight and said, "Can we eat now? I'm starving."

I let go, looked him dead in the eye and said, "Hi starving, I'm Lola."

Carter looked at me mortified. His eyes were twice as big and his jaw dropped as he gripped his chest. "Lola Anne did you just...make a dad joke?"

I turned into a fit of giggles trying to said, "Yes, I did."

Carter laughed too and then said, "I don't think you've been this giggly since that ball." I could feel my face freeze.

"Oh gosh I hate that story." I sighed and shook my head.

Carter chuckled. "I guess you don't want me to tell you then, that Spencer told me, that you told him that you were in shock that you were wearing gray heels, and you said you hated gray and that's when you threw them at Jenna."

I groaned and laid on my back.

"You know what I brought for the picnic?" Carter said lifting up a basket.

"What?" I said looking at him and the basket.

"Peanut butter and jelly. Just the way you like it." He said handing me a sandwich on a plate.

"How do you know, how I like it?" I asked him as he grinned.

"Grape jelly, smooth peanut butter, equal amounts of peanut butter and jelly, cold, and slightly squashed."