Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve
Violet Of Verish

I've been in bed since she left and I've lost all sense of time, but I didn't really care anyway. I felt as though my heart was slowly being torn apart from inside my own chest. The door creaked open and the smell of my brother's mate hit me along with his.

"You can go back to the office, Violet will walk me back," she told him, sternly.

"Are you sure?" There was no response, so she must have nodded. The door closed and I felt a slight shift in the bed where she sat.

"She wrote me a letter before she left, dropped it outside the bedroom." She paused and sighed, placing her hand on my back to rub soothing circles. "I'm so sorry, Violet." And, somehow, with something as simple as that, I broke down into tears. I turned and hugged Lucinda, my head on her chest, soaking her shirt. I felt an immense amount of comfort in her arms, I was safe and secure. Her fingers brushed through my tangled, black hair, resting her cheek on my head. "What she did was wrong, but it's what happened. I cannot fathom the pain you must be experiencing at this moment, but I'm afraid that we need you-I need you back now." She paused again before continuing. "It seems that Draco has come back to town and he's rather angry about what happened to his blood farm."

"The letter," my voice cracked. "What was in the letter?"

"She apologized for her sudden departure and pain that she would leave behind along with the names and locations of all family members of the guards. If we can rescue their families, they'll speak with us. I don't know how she got her information, but-"

"We have to track her down. She might be working for Draco."

"It's been done," she whispered. "She's returned to her pack."

I nodded and sat up, stretching. "How long?" She gulped and gave me a sympathetic look that made me feel a bit angry. "How long have I been in here, Lucinda?"

"About a month and a half." I sighed and shook my head. "I brought you this, I figured you would be hungry." She held up a blood bag and I pounced, my teeth puncturing the clear plastic. I hadn't realized how thirsty I was.

When I was done, I licked my teeth and lips, taking the napkin she held out to wipe my face. "I'm sorry about that."

"It's alright," she gave me an encouraging smile.

"It's been a month and a half, but your scent hasn't changed." She stiffened at my statement. "You haven't mated." She shook her head, looking down into her lap. "I shouldn't have waited; I should've Mated her right in that field before she changed her mind."

"But then you'd both be unhappy."

I scoffed. "So? I'd have a Mate, wouldn't I? You know, I really admire my brother waiting on you as long as he is; there is no way that I'd be willing to wait if she were here." Her eyes snapped up and a look of hurt crossed her face before it was replaced by sudden anger and irritation.

"Listen here, sister, what goes on between your brother and I is none of your business. I came here to inform you of your situation and to try to get you back on your feet. I know there is no way that I can understand your suffering, but that also means that you also cannot fathom mine! I don't want to pull the Queen Card, but if that's what it takes to get your ass out of this bed then I will! I know you're hurting, but there also comes a time to move on; you're strong, Violet, it's time to get up now." I was stunned at her outburst, but also, in a way, I was proud. She sounded like a true queen. "They day is almost upon us, so you have then to think about it. Once you walk me to Vladimir's office you can return." She stood and looked down at me on the bed. "Well, come on."