Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten
Lucinda Of Celestials

Karina stroked the back of my hand lightly, trying to comfort me. "What am I to do? He hasn't shown his face to me in four days!"

She sighed, shaking her hand. "I'm not sure what to tell you, my queen."

"How many times have I asked you not to call me that? You're my friend now, Karina."

"Indeed."

Karina and Haggar came in the day after Vladimir's sudden disappearance, and I was grateful. Karina came in nearly everyday to check on me, and stayed long into the night. Haggar had to carry her home one night because we fell asleep. She was my closest friend here. Violet stopped by once, but left hastily to tend to training, and she is still avoiding all talk of her mate. Helena hadn't visited me once, and I was fine with that, she seemed to be causing Violet much pain.

"Where is he, Karina?"

She looked down, pursing her lips. "He's been working so hard, Lucy, but I know he still feels guilty about what happened. Haggar comes home every night with the same sunken look on his face; he hates to see his king in such agony as this."

"The cast has been off for a day...why hasn't he come to see me?!"

She looked at me with sorrowful compassion. "I...don't know."

I wrapped my arms around myself, pulling my knees to my chest. "Karina...do you think he's angry with me?"

"He could never," she stressed, squeezing my hand. "He cares for you more than anyone, Lucinda."

"Yet he refuses to see me."

"That has everything to do with the mindset he is in right now."

"I want to see him, but..."

"You're afraid." I nodded in shame. "That's alright. Being afraid isn't a bad thing. Would you like it if I went with you?"

"You'd do that?"

"Of course I-"

It was then that a flaming arrow burst through the open window and into Karina's side. She screamed in agony as the flames lapped at her skin, falling to the floor. Without thinking, I ran to her, taking out the arrow and covering the wound with my hands. She was writhing under me, gripping at my arms. I felt heat pass through my body and into my fingertips that rested on Karina's flesh. "Heal," I whispered, and a bright light burst forth as strong as the arrow had through the window. A rush of wind blew out the flames that had attached themselves to the curtains, leaving charred strings behind with the blackened wall. I removed my hands, staring at the thick, black blood that coated my palms.

"Lucinda?" I looked at my friend who was stricken with fear and amazement. "How?"

"I-"

"Karina!"

"Lucinda!"

We both looked up from the floor to the doorway where our mates were rushing in. Vladimir immediately plucked me from the tiles and held me close to him, inspecting me for any injuries. "What happened?! Are you hurt?!"

"I'm alright," I assured him, looking over at Karina who was in the same position as me with Haggar.

"You saved me," she whispered. "You healed me!"

"It's true," Haggar said, lifted up Karina's stained shirt to reveal a fading scar.

"Part of being a Celestial," I shrugged. "My Mother was a Celestial and my father was a Vampire, both strong breeds, but when a Celestial Mates, their genes are the most inherited by their offspring. It keeps us thriving."