Around Town

_____Alexia's Point of View_____

.

.

.

As I walked I could swear I felt his eyes on me, he must be staring at the outcast just like all the others in our pack.

My father always tells me to ignore their stares and not to listen to the whispers but it's a little hard when their stares are so open and they aren't whispering but cornering me in the halls and basically yelling it at me.

God I'm not looking forward to school.

I was use to the name calling, "abomination" "unwanted" "outcast" but what hurts the most is being told that I'm the reason my father became a murderer and my mother went crazy.

I wonder if he's heard the stories yet?

We finally reach the house and I pull out my keys. I turn back and look at him, "you can come in if you want, I'm just gonna grab my purse."

He nodded and followed me inside.

"Alexia is that you?" Grandma asked.

I sighed, she always asks that when I enter the house.

"Yes grandma it's me." I said Royce stepped forward and she saw him now.

"And who is this?"

"Hello ma'am my name is Royce, your granddaughter has been kind enough to agree to show me around the town today." He introduced himself as he stepped over to her and shook her hand.

Grandma smiled, "that's my grand baby, raised her right I did, got a bit of sass in her so you watch out for her Royce."

Embarrassed by her words I blushed, Royce looked back at me and chuckled, "I'm sure she's a sweetheart." he said.

"I-I'm just gonna get my purse." I announced as I left the living room. I walked into my room and picked up my cross body bag, I caught my reflection and stopped. I looked around my old desk and found a lipstick my aunt had given me while I stayed with her this summer. I uncapped the lipstick and found it was a pink color, I dabbed it onto my bottom lip before rolling my lips together; it added a little color and drew my eyes to my mouth. I looked at my hair and scrunched my nose in distaste, there isn't anything I can do about my stringy boring locks.

With a shrug I stepped away from my mirror and exited my room. I found Royce still in the living room, grandma insisting on getting him a cup of iced tea.

"I'll have to come back for a cup of your iced tea some other time ma'am." He smiled kindly.

"You ready?" I asked.

He stood up and gave me a breath taking smile, I tried to suppress the growing urge to run over and embrace him, I settled on awkwardly stepping forward before turning toward the front door. I really need to learn to control these urges better.

"Car's over here." I sounded as I got my key ready.

"Are you shitting me?"

I internally cringed, unlike a lot of the other kids at school, grandma and I do not live a flashy lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, we do well for ourselves, but I do have to work. And instead of purchasing a new car and being stuck with payments until Igraduate college, I opted on fixing up my dads old car.

A 1965 Shelby cobra.

I turned to face him and even contemplated explaining why I didn't have a flashy new car. But when my eyes found his face I didn't find the face of distaste, no, it was the exact opposite. Royce seemed to be elated as he took a step forward and gently placed his hands upon car, turning his head this way and that way so he could inspect it.

"It's even the hardtop, you can only usually find these in their convertible alternatives, original colors, and standard?"

Now he looked up from the car and awaited my answers. "I-it was my dads car, I've always liked it and figured I would rather fix it up. As for the color and stuff, well I've heard all about how my dad loved this car so I didn't want to mess it up in any way."

He shook his head with a slight smirk, "you've gotta let me driver her some time."

Now it was my to shake my head and laugh, "sorry, but no one drives Shelby but me."

"Shelby?"

I gave him a look that silently asked 'really?' and he simply nodded his understanding, without further questioning/admiring he simply opened the passenger door and got in. Once more I found myself smiling and shaking my head, truth be told, I half expected him to strut over to the drivers side and demand the keys, I'm glad he didn't because even though I don't like anyone driving my dads car, something tells me I would find it hard to say no to my mate. The other half of me still expected him to come over to the drivers side and at the very least open my car door for me.

Male mates are usually known for their polite and gentlemanly ways with their female mates. but I had to admit that I quite liked that Royce wasn't living up to the stereotypes.

I got in and put the key in, after revving the engine (to show off just a bit) I buckled up and began our afternoon journey of chores.

As I drove I pointed out this and that, "first stop," I sounded as I pulled into the dry cleaners; "you can wait in the car if you want."

But he only unbuckled and soon after he was by my side as we both walked into the small building.

"Ah, good morning Alexia." Mrs Woodard smiled upon our entrance. "Paul is just finishing up the steaming of your Grandmothers dress."

I nodded and pulled my wallet out of my purse.

"And who might this be?" She questioned.

I looked up and saw the elderly woman looking at Royce, I went to answer but he beat me to it as he eloquently introduced himself, the older woman smiled as a soft pink dusted the apples of her cheek, yeah, Royce was a charmer for sure.

I paid for our dry cleaning then stopped off to pay my phone two stores down. Since we were downtown I thought I would do as I had said to Royce earlier and pop into the bookstore.

As we walked in, the smell of coffee and sweet pastries hit my nose as the connected cafe was clearly open for business.

"I'm starving, you want something?" He asked.

I shook my head no but with the rise of one of his quizzical brows I knew he wasn't exactly asking me, so I silently followed him into the cafe.