Thanksgiving

_____Royce's Point Of View_____

.
.
.

"Grandma wanted me to remind you to pick up the napkins and cups."

"Duly noted." I smiled as I laid comfortably in my bed. "Do either of you need anything else?"

"No I think we have everything we need."

Alexia and I talked on the phone for a while longer before she had to go help her grandmother prepare the food for tomorrow.

After hanging up I decided I had better go and purchase the things I offered to bring before I forget. When I walked downstairs I saw the pack house was filled like usual but there was something different about the vibe.

"Hey there son."

I turned to see Roy coming down the stairs, he stopped right next to me.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Well Victoria is getting everything ready for thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, that entails picking out the linens and china, telling the cooks what to make and when to serve it."

I looked at him but he only continued.

"Some of the pack members are also making banners for your upcoming game."

"Wait, what?" I asked.

He nodded in a slight amusement, "the school hasn't had such a great team in a very long time, not to brag, but it hasn't been anything to write home about since I played."

"I didn't know you were on the football team."

"Yep, me and your coach were teammates, of course I was Quarterback." He smiled.

"Imagine that."

"I'm also working on a surprise for everyone." he admitted.

"I'm sure I can't wait to find out what it is." I replied synically.

He chuckled before clapping my back, "looks like you're heading out."

"Oh, yeah I have to pick up some stuff before I head over to Lexi's place tomorrow."

"Well don't forget about dinner here, I expect you and Alexia to both be there tomorrow evening." He got serious.

"From what they've told me, her grandma sort of does her thanksgiving feast first thing in the morning." I admitted, "like thanksgiving breakfast."

He nodded silently.

"I'm sure Alexia will be excited to come." I added to kill the growing silence that surrounded he and I.

Shortly after I left, I hopped on my bike and drove down to the supermarket.

Big mistake.

I held onto my helmet as I pushed my way through the massive crowd in the store, it seemed like everyone from town was in here. As I wriggled my way around I picked up what I had to get and then stood in the ridiculously long line. After finally paying I took off but I didn't want to go straight home.

I got back in my bike and began making my way to Alexia's house, before I remembered she would be swamped with preparations, and as much as I wish I could help her, I already knew I'd be more of a distraction and she'd only end up having to do the work twice from where I messed it up.

With a sigh I continued on my way to the exact same spot Alexia had taken me once.

It took a little bit of searching but I finally found it.

I killed the engine and used my foot to bring out the kickstand. It was still early in the day and as I looked out at the small body of water I suddenly found myself thinking of my Aunt.

I couldn't believe that this is going to be the first year that the two of us won't be spending thanksgiving together.

I didn't hesitate to pull out my phone.

With no wifi out here I settled for just calling her. I found her contact and pressed it, it immediately began ringing and I placed my phone to my ear.

"Royce?!" She answered excitedly.

"Hey Aunt Natalie" I smiled upon hearing her voice, the familiarity in it making me instantly happier. "Happy thanksgiving."

"Oh Royce honey, happy thanksgiving to you as well...where are, I don't hear the usual commotion?"

I chuckled, "I'm actually outside...the pack house is more packed than usual and Alexia has to help her grandma cook and stuff."

"And you were bored so I was your last resort?" She teased.

"Never, you were the first person I thought of, actually I was sitting here feeling kind of lonely when I realized this is the first year I've been away from you for the holidays."

The line was quiet for a moment and then I heard sniffling.

I sighed, "Aunt Nat please don't cry."

"I'm sorry, I just wish you were here with us, but I know we can't be selfish...plus your uncle keeps telling me the year will fly by."

"I'm sorry I made you cry, I feel bad now." I said.

"I'm sorry I made you feel bad."

I asked about the family and she promptly filled me in.

"And how's Roy, I'm sure he's doing everything in his power to try and win you over."

"You don't even know..." I confessed before looking over at my bike. "He bought a motorcycle."

"Sounds about right" she laughed humorlessly.

"He's also really excited about my first official game."

"Game?" She asked.

"Uh yeah," I forgot I had failed to mention I was playing football now. "A football game, it's kind of big down here, anyways I met a friend and he's on the team, it's really fun and I'm apparently good at it."

"Of course you're good at it, your father was good when it came to football too."

"I thought you lived in Black Creek until you were in your twenties?" I asked.

"I did, but your father was such a star player and had a great team backing him, they were state champs so obviously their team was in all the newspapers, even if they weren't from our state."

I shook my head, even when they were younger she couldn't stand him.

"Regardless, tell that no good father of yours to record it because I want a copy...if he can't comply then I can guarantee that I will be there for the next game and he won't like it if I'm there."

I laughed and then it died down, "I miss you Aunt Natalie."

"I miss you too Royce, but we'll be a family again soon...just as soon as you finish your stint in Silver Junction."

"You make it sound like I'm doing time in Guantanamo Bay." I chuckled.

"That would be less of a punishment." She laughed.

We said our goodbye shortly after and I headed back to the pack house, I didn't bother talking to anyone, I waved and smiled if they greeted me but otherwise I went straight up to the room. I watched a movie on my phone and then listened to some music before I decided I should go for a run.

Once outside I release my wolf, he sprang forward immediately and stretched to his content before finally taking off.