Chapter 41: The Besties Brunch

I was inside of my New York apartment, covered in Lace and white. Fabric was everywhere, and my trusting design mannequin was earning her place in my spare bedroom. I stitched another seam and smiled. It was perfect, and I knew she would love it. I heard a knock on the door and I shouted.

"David, is that you?" I called out.

I heard his voice murmur something through the door.

"David, I'm sort of busy," I called out. "The key is under the mat."

I didn't hear him respond, but since the lock turned, I knew he had heard me. My building had security and so I assumed he wasn't some axe murderer. He entered, walking in his suit as if he didn't look like the cover of a GQ magazine.

"Hello, handsome," I said, eyeing him.

Since we were both single now I felt no shame in flirting with him.

"Hey beautiful," he smirked. "What the hell is going on? It looks like a fabric store threw up on you."

        "I am designing a dress for Emali," I said. "She doesn't know, but I want her to wear one of my designs. Of course, I have to compete with other designers. I mean, my mother is friends with the people at Vera Wang so who knows. But I decided something. I am going to design a few different gowns, and maybe that could be my next project."

"You do know your H&M contract goes for two more years," David smiled, looking at the nearly finished skirt.

"Yes, but I can design for them in my sleep. I already have next fall's collection done."

"What's the theme?" He asked.

"I am actually calling it 'The catacombs collection,'" I said with a smirk. David looked away, the way he always did when he was a bit embarassed.

"I do know some people at David's bridal," he said. "I suppose I can allow one more David in your life, if it is for work."

        "Ha," I said. "Look at my sketchbook and give me your honest opinion. I feel so inspired today."

"Well, that is good," David said. "I was actually coming by to see if you were handling your breakup well. I wouldn't want you wallowing without your closest friend beside you. I'm a very good wallower."

"Well, I'm not sad," I said. "I mean, I feel free somehow. Like yes, I hoped it would work out and I cared for him, but I always had these doubts and I just feel so light now. Like leaving Brady lifted this giant elephant off my chest. I feel ready to move on."

"Well, good," David said. "You shouldn't apologize for following your heart, love. Even if your heart wants to create a fabric storm in your living room."

I picked up a ball of tulle and chucked it at him.

"You love this," I said. "You just don't want to admit how much you enjoy my fashion stuff because you're afraid I'll embarrass you in front of your business buddies."

        "I do enjoy watching you work," David shrugged. "But it's not because I like the wedding dresses or fashion. I like seeing you so full of passion. It's endearing. It's a bit contagious too."

"Well, that is actually very sweet," I sighed.

He smirked and picked up my sketchbook, smiling. He flipped through the pages and made a few humming noses. He was very speculative. I knew no matter what, David was always honest. I trusted his feedback.

"This one is lovely," he said. "That one is somewhat of train wreck, but it might just not be to my tastes."

"Fair enough," I said. "I named them all after women I know. This dress here is the Emali, of course. I also designed a Bethanny, a Miranda, and a..."