Epilogue: The Pickle Spaghetti Night

*Two Years Later*

"How many vitamins have you taken today," my mom asked me.

I was trying to listen to her worrying, but I was busy trying to rearrange pillows.

"I don't know how I feel about yellow," I said. "But green is sort of feminine, and until we know the official genders...but I want to paint now before the campers come in."

"Blake! Are you listening to me. You're two months pregnant with twins, and you are hosting camp for over 700 troubled youths. Do you have any idea how important those vitamins are?"

"I get it, you had twins, now I'm having twins," I said "but you were not this paranoid when Emali was pregnant."

"She wasn't living in the boondocks," my mother said. "How can you survive so far away from Sephora?"

"Sephora delivers," I said. "And my kids will have a beautiful life. Playing outside, campfires, and family time. No cameras, no crazy Hollywood types, no movie stars with god complexes."

"I know it was hard for you growing up," mom said. "But I keep having this nightmare about you going into labor and having your twins by the lake."

"I'll be staying in the LA house after the seventh month," I said. "You know that."

"I was put on bed rest after six months," my mom said. "Two babies, it's so overwhelming. You are glowing, honey."

"You know, we weren't even planning it," I said. "It just sort of happened. But it's perfect timing. My line is doing well, the camp is going great. David is like this dynamite fundraiser, and then he does consulting during the year."

"I get it," my mom said. "It's just... I worry."

"And I feel total peace. The only worry I feel is about how huge my ankles will get."

"I'm proud of you, you know."

"I do," I said. "It's just, life is so insane. I never pictured myself here, living in this place with David. But it fits so perfectly, like it's my home."

"I get it," mom said. "I never pictured myself raising three kids on the road with this eccentric musician, but that fit for me. We all find our place, and I'm glad you've found yours."

"I had a beautiful childhood, I just hope I can give these kids something so perfect."

"Perfect," my mom said. "Dad and I weren't perfect. We messed up, we had people's talking our children. Your playground was in Beverly Hills were the drinking fountains were lined with diamonds. It's a wonder you're not a total brat."

"Well, you worked hard on me," I said. "On all of us."

"And you and David will work hard on hootie and blowfish."

"That will not be their names," I laughed. "No matter what the gender, those will not be the twins names."

"Fine," my mom laughed. "You know Emali is pregnant too."

"Of course she is," I laughed. "It's been too long. Gibson needs a sibling."

"Well, I'm hoping for all girls," mom said. "Call me immediately, ok?"

"Ok," I said. "I love you mom."

"I love you too baby."

*

*

*

"This is the best thing I've ever tasted," I said.