Chapter 20: The 427th Rule

I hopped out of the cab and we rushed inside, because Aaron thought the neighborhood looked sketchy. When we out in public, Aaron was all business and very stern about it. He was constantly looking around, tensed up, afraid I was going to get jumped at any moment. Sure, I'd been known to see a camera or two in my time, but actual violence was not usually on the agenda. Still, Aaron was clearly a good protector and an even better friend. We hopped into the club and Brady was sitting by the entrance, waiting.

"I thought you got lost," Brady said, grabbing me and pulling me in for a kiss.

"No, just a little tardy," I said, glancing around. It was basically a coffee shop, but it was late and a lot of artsy folk were roaming around. "When are you going on?"

"Right now," Brady said. "So, wish me luck."

"Its break a leg," Aaron said with an eye roll. "You don't want luck on a stage."

"Good thinking," Brady said before he turned to wink at me.

"So is your boy-toy any good," Aaron asked as he pointed at an open table near the front.

"My boyfriend is probably excellent," I said. "I've never actually heard him sing before."

"What if he sucks?" Aaron said with a laugh. "It's a little late to run away now."

"He won't suck," I snapped back. "Seriously, why are you hating on Brady?"

"No reason," Aaron said, sitting down and crossing his arms.

A woman came up and introduce Brady, saying his demo was 'for real.' I didn't really know what that meant, but it sounded good. Brady walked up while the small crowd applauded and he grinned, pulling the microphone so it rested above his lips. His guitar rested against his chest and I looked it up and down, noticing how it was a more expensive model, a Gibson acoustic.

"Stop oogling him," Aaron chastised me.

"I am not," I said. "He just has a nice guitar. Although it's a bit weird; my dad has a similar guitar."

"Hmmmmm..." Aaron hummed, not really responding.

"Good evening everyone," Brady said. "I am Brady Smith, and this is actually my first performance in New York."

Did he have other performances? Why hadn't I asked that before?

"This first song is one I wrote when I was sixteen, and it's about change and moving on," Brady said.

He started strumming and I instantly softened. He was really good. I never learned to play guitar, but I'd heard enough music in my time to instantly recognize this quality in talented musicians. Plus, I was a classically trained musician who could hear all the mechanics of a song. As I had a seriously nerdy moment where I mentally enjoyed the complexity of his arrangement, I got startled by a soft melody drifting through the air. It was angelic and pleasing, and it took me a minute to realize Brady was singing. God, he was fantastic. I had assumed he'd be good, because after all, he was talented at playing piano and at least I knew he wasn't tone deaf. I'd expected him to sound decent, but I hadn't prepared myself for him to be extraordinary. I didn't realize my mouth was hanging open until Aaron tapped on shoulder, and motioned for me to shut it. I opted just to smile and listen, realizing how pathetic I probably looked. I was having a fan-girl moment over my very own boyfriend. One song turned into two, and then by the third one I was completely mesmerized. Aaron had gotten up and ordered food and drinks at one point, and I started to idly munch on my chips and sandwich. Brady was doing great, apparently unbothered by my staring at him.

"I got to say," Aaron replied. 'He's a pretty decent musician."

"Yeah," I said. "I think...I think he might actually have a shot at making it."