Chapter 7: Camp Complexes {Part 2}

Surprisingly, I was really enjoying myself during the campfire and initial activities. After about my fourth round of s'mores, I decided to put on some pants and a coat to go Snape hunting. All of the girls glared at me while I ate the chocolate, and I couldn't decide if they were hungry or angry that Chase had seemed to have become my second shadow. Honestly though, I really didn't mind his company. He was handsome, funny, and didn't seem to give a damn who my parents were. I mean, I loved mom and dad, but it was nice to not answer a million questions about how 'Joel Mcnarie' likes to brush his teeth. I couldn't decide if I wanted to be his friend or pull Chase into a closet and kiss him until my lips turned blue, but for the first time, it didn't really matter. I fully intended just to have fun, live in the moment, and not take anything too seriously. But when I was walking back to the cabin, I heard Bryan hollering at me. I turned around and stopped, chuckling because he had marshmallow all over his shirt.

"Hey bro," I said. "I think you need a dive in the lake."

"Yeah, probably," he said. "We need to talk about your cowboy friend."

"Ok," I said. "Oh, also, stop being nice to Emali. She is seriously flirting with you. It might be wise to tell her you're unavailable so she can put those vibes elsewhere."

"I will," Bryan said. "Look, I know how you get with guys. You probably have decided how you're going to marry Chase and what your children's names will be..."

"I don't do that," I said.

"Yes, you do," Bryan said. "Which is why I am intervening now. He's a jerk Blake. We were talking before you got there, all of the guys. He made a bet with the guys that he would, and I quote, 'nail the hottest girl in the camp before week three.' And judging by the way he's flocking to you, apparently he thinks you're the hottest girl."

"I'm flattered, and yet I am also offended," I said. "Thanks for telling me."

"So you'll avoid him then," Bryan said, giving me a look that was creepily similar to Dads.

"Nope," I said. "I mean, I'm not going to jump into bed with him. But I like him, he is fun to be around. And to be honest, since he's made me his mission, I think it might be kind of fun to screw with him."

"I think you're playing with fire, baby sister," Bryan said. "He seemed pretty confident. I just don't want you to let your guard down and do something you'll regret."

"Like letting someone womanizing southern boy deflower me in the lake," I said. "Don't worry, I can handle myself. But, there's no harm is having a fling. Maybe I will use him, did you ever think of that?"

"Blake, you don't do casual," Bryan said. "Mom made us quit volunteering at the animal shelter because you wanted to take home twelve puppies in a week. You can't do casual; it's not in your nature."

"Stop worrying," I said. "I won't get in too deep. It won't be like it was with Brady, where I fell in love overnight."

"That's the other thing," Bryan said, his eyes cloudy.

"What's up," I said.

He got a certain look on his face and he shook his head to himself. What was my brother thinking?