Chapter 24: The Thanksgiving Guests

"So why do we need a catered dinner," I asked my father.

"Because we have a full house tonight," Dad said. "We have all your aunts and uncles, and others as well."

"Is Uncle Steven coming?" I asked.

"No," Dad replied. "He and Gia are separated right now, so he and Andrew are having a tough time. They're not speaking."

"Oh," I said. "Will they work it out?"

"Of course, it's just a bump in the road. I think Steven and Gia are made for each other." Dad said.

"Who else is coming," I asked.

"Emali is coming with Bryan. I invited Aaron, and also Aunt Ann is bringing the Jensen's son. His parents are out of town and apparently he needs 'watching', so Ann volunteered."

I nodded, not so pleased to have another celebrity child here. But my aunt Anne frequently did nice things for her former client, and she was famous for planning Jerry's Jensen's wedding to a supermodel. I guess she'd actually planned two of his weddings, but she said he was a real jerk during the first one and got left at the altar.

"So just our family, and three other people," I said.

"That includes four teenagers, and ten adults. Not to mention your aunt Anne and Andrew might get a foster child any day now."

"Oh," I said, smiling.

My aunt Ann could have children, but they decided to become foster parents. They hadn't adopted a foster child yet, because sometimes they only had temporary placements. But they had helped raised over a dozen children. I admired my aunt in ways I couldn't say.

"Sounds good," I said. 'How is mom?"

My mother had been hiding in her office making phone calls all morning. I knew she was working; she was trying to fix her company after I'd broken it.

"She is ok," dad said. "Are you ok? I know this internship fiasco must suck."

"It's fine."

"So..." dad said.”Is the boyfriend coming over?"

"No," I said. "I dumped him."

"Oh," dad said, trying not to sound delighted. "I'm sorry."

"You hated Brady, despite his good qualities."

"He must have done something to lose you. Therefore, I am still infinitely wise."

"Sure you are, daddy," I said, giggling. I kissed his forehead and smiled. I'd missed my dad.

"You know... Aaron is a nice young man." 

"Dad, no," I said. "Meddling is mom's thing."

"So, I can do it too. I've watched her for twenty years. I'm a good student."

"Dad, Aaron is just a friend."

"So," Dad said. "He is responsible and trustworthy. And I like him. Why not?"