Chapter 31: The Trip Home

"I can't believe I am leaving my apartment again," I said to David, who waited with a bowl of popcorn as I packed my bag. "I just got back from Paris a week ago."

"Well, I think you're apartment will be ok," David said. "I am just excited to meet all the people I've heard so much about. I mean, I think Bryan and I will get along, right?"

I nodded, thinking it would be good to have David meet my family, since he was so close to me now. My mother had invited all of the Darcy's to Bethanny's graduation party, though only David agreed to go to the party. My mother and David's mother had become friendly recently, convinced they could meddle together to convince us to get married or at least go on a date. Of course, David and I had made out in the catacombs and then decided to pretend like it never happened. My contract still had two months, and then all bets were off from there. I wasn't scared of things changing, oddly. I figured in two months, I should be ready to move on from Brady.

"So, any advice about meeting the Mcnarie family," David asked.

"Hang out with Emali and Aaron," I said. "All of my blood relatives are crazy."

"Emali is Bryan's girlfriend," David said, as if reminding himself. My family structure was an odd web of craziness at the moment. As if all of the uncles and aunts, both blood and not-blood relatives, weren't confusing enough, now we had friends and significant others to encounter.

"Yes," I said. "And Aaron is a family friend who used to work for my dad."

"But he and your younger sister are secretly in love with each other, and not acting on it because it's super awkward."

I pointed my hairbrush at David with an evil eye.

"That is a secret you will take to your grave, understood? I shouldn't have told you anyways."

"You tell me everything," David laughed. "You have no poker face with me, sweetheart."

I blushed a little bit when he called me sweetheart. No matter how comfortable we were, it still embarrassed me when he flirted.

"Also note there may be some awkwardness," I said. 'My uncle Steven, who is an unofficial uncle but is still family, is coming with his wife Gia. Gia is Andrew's sister, and Andrew is married to my aunt Anne who is my mother's cousin and step sister. So, technically, my aunt Anne is actually my second cousin, I think."

"What?" David said. "God your family is complicated. This is why I am an only child."

"Whatever," I said. "And just know, Bryan will probably know about us."

"What is there to know exactly," David said with a mischievous grin.

"That we're slightly more than friends, or we have ever have been," I said. "Bryan and I are twins. If he spends more than two minutes with us together, he'll get that I like you. And Bryan is overprotective, but not as much as my father."

"And how do I impress your father," David asked.

"Why do you care so much about my father?"

"Well for starters, the fact that you hero worship him is motivating. If you love and respect him so much, so will I."

"Oh," I said, surprised. David was sort of sweet sometimes, most of the time.

"Also, if I ever do want to date you, it'd be good to have your dad like me."

"That's a big if," I said. "I don't even know if like you."

I stuck my tongue out like a child and David rolled his eyes.