Chapter 39: The Disney Distraction

It took three hundred dollars in cash. That was the exact amount it took to get Serena Calvin Wu's room number in the hotel. I walked up to the door and knocked, alarmed she didn't have guards nearby. After what had happened, my room would have been Fort Knox. I could only pray my father didn't know yet. He was going to seriously have a heart attack. The door opened and an Asian man with grey hair eyed me, his pupils narrowing.

"If you're some reporter, you need to leave," he said. "My daughter has been harassed enough for one day."

"I'm not a reporter," I said. "My name is Blake Mcnarie. My aunt actually planned your wedding, I believe. And Serena is friends with my boyfriend. I was worried about her."

"Oh," Jason said. "Well Serena has locked herself in the bathroom and is crying. Not even Brady can get her to come out."

I tried not too overthink the phrase he'd used. Was Brady so close to Serena that he could coax her out of an anxiety attack?

        I saw Brady talking to the door and sitting in the front of the suite was an older blonde woman. She had more wrinkles, but I knew who it was. Lacy Calvin was highly recognizable, and though for reasons I never understood, my mother and aunt Stephanie both loathed the woman. My aunt Anne on the other hand was close with the Calvin-Wu family.

"Hi," I said. "I was worried about Serena. I know I've never met her, but maybe I can help her out. I've been in...similar predicaments."

"Blake," Brady said, looking at me. "What are you doing here? Did you come here to fight with me, here?"

"No," I said. "I came to help. Let me through."

"She won't open the door," Brady explained.

I pulled a bobby pin from my pocket and smiled.

"I will get it open and talk her down," I said.

        I walked over and jiggled the knob, putting the pin in the hole. I was oddly well suited for a life of crime, which made me wonder what I'd down in my previous lives. Serena's parents and Brady stared at me. I turned the knob and opened the door. A tiny Asian girl, who looked more like she was twenty five than seventeen, looked up at me. She was beautiful, even with the snot and mascara running all over her face. I shook my head at myself because I instantly found myself comparing my thin frame to her perfect curves, and felt guilty. I was here to help.

"Hi," I said. "I'm Blake, and I was hoping we could talk."

"Shut the door, please," she said. "I'm such a mess."

I closed the door behind me and sat down beside her on the floor.

"So we both got screwed tonight," I said. "I'm kind of used to this bullshit, but I know you're a novice in the world of the press and creeps. You're from washington, right?"

"Yeah. My mom left Hollywood when her life got messy, came to Cheney and met my dad. I never understood before why she'd give it up, the fame. Now I do."

"You were a victim, Serena. This isn't your fault. I've hired a lawyer and we will find the asshole responsible. David Darcy is working to remove the videos now."

"The worst part is that anyone could see me. I mean, it's bad enough when people make fun of your body when you're clothed. But now people will be judging me and they will see me, all of me. It's so demeaning."

        "They watched Brady and I having a private moment tonight," I said. "I can relate."

"Wait, you were on the video feed tonight. What the heck is Brady doing here, then? Shouldn't he be with you?"