Chapter 40: The night in Vegas

"Are you insane?" I said, my voice cracking.

"Take a minute," Brady said. "Just breathe, I know, it's overwhelming. But think about it Blake. Tonight, we could get married. I could make love to you, but as my wife. You'd be my wife. We could know, that forever, you'd be all I want. And I would be all you want."

"Brady. Just slow down," I said. "We have issues. We have real problems we need to discuss. You can't just propose..."

"Ok, so the Vegas idea is scary," he said. "We can wait. I can wait, but I've been thinking about it. I want it to be different. I want to be that guy you trust, the guy you love, I will treat you better. I will make more time for you, I will be there for you. Blake, please, I want you. You are my greatest dream, Blake. I love you. Marry me today, marry me in a decade. Just marry me."

I inhaled, and felt my blood pumping. How could I not be moved by his sweet and affectionate proposal? How could I not feel weak in the knees at this man's love? I did, but it didn't change what my response was.

"No," I said in a small voice.

"Ok..." Brady said, his face falling. "You're saying no....why are you saying no?"

        "We're nineteen Brady."

"I'm twenty," Brady said. "But like I said, we can always wait. Why else won't you marry me?"

"We can't even find time together now, Brady. Our lives are crazy. We can not be married."

"I'll slow down, you'll slow down. We will buy a house together. I will buy you a house."

"Brady... I don't know if I can depend on you," I said. "And the only thing worse than a boyfriend I can't depend on is a husband I can't depend on. You have problems with me as well. Those don't go away with a marriage. We need to think here."

"Wait...did you come here to break up with me?"

        "Brady...I came to talk. If we can't resolve our issues, then it might have been a break up. I don't know Brady, but I can't go on like this. I was ready to give you everything, and I wound up half naked and alone."

"I'm sorry," Brady said. "You've met Serena. She's naive, innocent, and I felt this brotherly need to protect her."

"Brothers don't kiss their little sisters," I said.

"And friends don't rush you off to Disneyland," Brady said. "But see, this is the problem. We fight like teenagers, but were not. We are adults. Let's forget these petty jealousies. Let's forget the games. Marry me, Blake. I never stopped wanting you and I never will."

"I can't do this," I said. "Were too young and this is too much."

"Blake, fine," he said. "So we don't get married. What do I do here? What can I say to make it better?"

"Honestly I don't know. Why is it so hard for us to be happy together? "

        "Let's make it easy. Marry me. We can face any problem if we decide to. Let's do it together."

"Brady you sound crazy."

"Be crazy with me."

"I can't. You know David actually gave me good advice. He said if I want to be with you I should forgive you. He thinks I don't trust you because you cheated on me."

"I actually agree with him," Brady said. "So the question is do you trust me? Have you forgiven me?"

"I thought I had...then you left and it all came rushing back to me. I wasn't just angry at you for leaving, or for lying about kissing Serena and your drinking history. I was mad for every lie. I was angry for the morning I saw you with that girl in your bed when I needed you the most. I was mad about how I let you in and you broke me Brady. You broke me into tiny little pieces and never even called."