Chapter 21: The Darcy Deal

I walked into my first day at design school, wondering if I'd made the right outfit choice. I'd chosen a sleek black dress with a pair of vintage Monolo Blahniks my mother had given me. I pulled my hair back and walked in, finding my first class in no time. I was a half an hour early, but I had nowhere else to be since Brady was starting his first class and Aaron left a week ago. I was going to miss that guy more than I expected, but for reasons that were completely rational. I was having serious brother withdrawals, and Aaron's presence was a lot like having a big Bryan patch on my arm. I saw there were some other girls outside the classroom, all dressed to the nines and giggling.

"Hey," one called out. "Do you want to come sit by us?"

He smiled and her short black hair fell in front of her face a little bit, and I smiled back. I needed to meet some new girls to befriend. Even though Miranda and I were occasionally playing nice, we weren't the same as before. It was time to start fresh.

"Sure," I said, grabbing a chair. "I'm Blake...Are you in the eleven o'clock class?"

"Yes," the girl with the black bob said. "But we all know you. You're Angela Mcnarie's daughter, right?"

"I am," I said. "What are your names? You all apparently know mine."

"I am Bonnie," The first girl said. "And this is Jo and Aria. We're both freshman too."

"Hey," I said. "So where are you all from?"

'New York," Bonnie said. "We all went to high school together. We went to a magnet school for the arts. A lot of girls here went there."

"Oh," I said. "I am from LA, which you probably already knew."

"I have to know," Aria said, speaking for the first time. "Is it true you dated Ryan? He's from that show, Ryan for Real. I mean, he hasn't come out and said you were the girl who broke his heart. But the tabloids sure think so."

"What is Ryan for Real?" I asked, hoping to dodge a bullet here.

"It's about Ryan Steiner, who is an independent hip hop artist who dates all of these supermodels. Everyone thinks you were his girlfriend."

I just laughed, because apparently Ryan had found a way to keep his precious reality television show deal. Hip Hop artist, that boy had the rhythm of a dying cactus.

"I am not his girlfriend," I said. "We dated for a while, like a few weeks, last year. We broke up, and we never hooked up. He was a jerk, and my current boyfriend made sure he would never bother me again. He's a real jerk, and that is reality."

"Wow," Aria said. "So, do you think you could set us up? He's super cute."

"Aria!" The second girl, Jo scolded. "She said he was a jerk and her ex-boyfriend."

"What, I know what I like," Aria said. "Besides, you heard Blake. She's moved on."

"Forgive them," Bonnie said. "I don't take them out enough. They spent all summer watching television and letting their pretty little heads fill up with stupid. Give them a week, and you'll love them."

"Ok," I said calmly.

"Where did you get those shoes," Aria asked.

"Do you want those too," Jo asked with a hostile tone.

"Sort of," Aria said. "I have some major boundary issues."

"Uh huh," I said quietly. "I borrowed them from my mother. I don't know why, but I always feel luckier in my mother's shoes. She has literally hundreds, and she rarely wears them more than once, so I borrow a lot."