Chapter 22: The Costume Complication

"You expect me to wear a prince charming costume to your work party," Brady said, quirking an eyebrow.

"I have been sewing an Aurora costume all week, so yes. And this is more than a work party, sweetie, it's our first Halloween together."

"Most couples get excited about valentine's day, or anniversaries..."

"Well, I love Halloween," I smiled. "Seriously, my dad got me into it. He is the costume king. Last year his zombie costume was so grotesque. So, yes, we need to take this seriously."

"But I don't want to wear tights," Brady said.

"Are you sure," I laughed as we drank our morning coffee.

Brady had been coming over for breakfast in the mornings pretty regularly, and it was nice. "You'd earn major brownie points."

"And what are the brownie points for," Brady asked.

"In case you are a jerk, I will forgive you," I replied.

"Uh huh, but I'm never a jerk."

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes.

"What if I wanted to redeem them for cash value," Brady quirked an eyebrow. "What would that get me?"

"Make-out time?" I asked.

"You do that for free, my dear."

I nodded, realizing he was right. Were my brownie points actually worthless?

"You know what I really want," Brady said, his voice a little husky.

I don't know why, but the sound of his voice made my heart race just a little bit. Maybe because I'd be contemplating how and when to lose my virginity lately, but my mind instantly went to sex. He's a guy, so of course he wants sex.

"I want cookies."

"What?" I asked, confused. Was this some euphemism I didn't get?

"Chocolate chip cookies," Brady said. "You have a kitchen. My dorm does not."

"So you're using me for my kitchen," I scoffed.

"No, but the kitchen is a nice perk," Brady laughed.

I smiled and he wrapped his arms around my waist, kissing my cheek.

"I love you, Blake."

I sighed into him, never being tired of hearing it. Now, a few months into our relationship, those words were different. I knew he meant them now, in a deep and real way.

"I love you too, Brady."

My ringtone sounded, blaring into the air. So much for a perfect moment.

"Hello," I said, answering it quickly.

"Blake," Maria said. "How is my favorite intern?"

I rolled my eyes. Maria was so hot and cold with me, all the time. When I did well or helped her out, she loved me. But then the next day she'd snap at me or put me down, as if somehow it displayed her power. She was clearly afraid I would outshine her, or that I wasn't worthy of my future inheritance. I wasn't sure which one was the truth, but I knew she was crazy.

"We have a little problem," Maria said.

"Ok, I am listening."

"The band we hired for tonight's event cancelled," she replied. "They were partying and the lead signer broke his nose. We need a replacement."

"So how can I help," I said. Maria only called to ask favors, never to give praises.

"Your brother's band," she said. "If we flew them out here, could they make it?"