Chapter 34: Midnight Shadows

Your Point of View

My mind is still baffled and dumfounded at the same time. I'm pretty sure curiosity could fucking kill me any time now, if it wasn't because of him.

I can't think properly. I am well aware that an important mission's gonna happen tomorrow, and this isn't the only thing I should be overthinking of.

I must also be prepared of my revelation. Tomorrow's a big day, and I must watch out for it.

I stood at my bedroom's window. I stared at the shining stars twinkling above the sky.

I wonder, why couldn't just the world be as free and as peaceful as these stars? Why do we humans and creatures need to be punished? Why not... just love and care with each other?

I never felt that true, affectionate love again for like more than ten years now. It was just... my mom who ever understood me.

And Eric.

I smiled at the thought. That man never made me feel that I am lonely. Whenever he's around, I feel...complete. Even if deep inside, I knew that I wasn't. He gives his best to make me feel that way, at least.

I sighed and returned to my bed. The dinner wasn't over yet, but I excused myself to Eric and the others. I lost my appetite after that unnecessary event and I couldn't continue acting cool anymore. Especially because I knew Eric would put me in a hot seat, questioning me with my actions.

He had this worried face when I told them that I would go, though. His face tells me taht he would also like to leave. With me.

But good thing he didn't. He understood that I wanted some space. He understood what that slap meant.

I hope Hanji had told him what it was all about. It is most likely that Eric would ask her. I know him, he find ways.

Remember that time when he attempted to fought with Levi on the Underground City? He failed, but did all he got to save me.

I don't know why, but Levi seemed so affected with what he saw earlier. He really is...jealous of him?

But, he knows what's the real thing between us. We're family. He is my family. No more such thing. It's just Levi who's giving it a different meaning.

"You'll be mine in the future."

My eyes widened with the memory.

What... the hell? Am I just assuming things or he really fucking said that line? Crap. Let's just hope that I was just hallucinating things that I shouldn't. How foolish.

He can't be liking me. I've known him since we we're like...twelve? No way that jerk would look at me that way. No matter what angle you try to look at it, it isn't romance. For me, at least.

But what did he mean about that word, 'mine'?

I cupped my face with my hands in annoyance. What the hell was I thinking? Why am I bothered with those two? To survive within through all these is my priority, not that uh-stupid love.

I pulled my blankets to cover up my body, but left a little space for my eyes to see the surroundings.

Then something caught my eye.

I can't remember when I'd left the door slightly open. I use to close doors, especially when I was in the Underground City because Eric would always budge in without my permission. BUT, for some reason, I don't like to lock them.

What really caught my attention was the shadow shaped like a human's. Who might it be? Did it just pass by or it has an intention of going in here?