Chapter 2

Nisha removed her coat, placed it in her locker, pulled out her bag and jacket.  As she was wearing her jacket she bid her colleagues a good bye and kindly refused their offer to join them for a drink, though it was a Friday night and she had a holiday next day.

As she left the hospital premises she felt her heart sank. She knew her colleagues were trying to help her cheer up but she can’t stop herself thinking about Charles. She felt devastated since the death of Charles and Mariette. She knew it was going to happen with Charles as he suffered from a prolonged cancer but Mariette’s death came as a shock and after their death she felt like an orphan, even though she had her own parents in India but Charles and Mariette were the family she always wanted.

When she first met Charles she fell in love with his kindness and his love towards her. He always used to tell her “Sweetheart, you are the daughter we always wanted”. He was the father figure in her life she always longed for. He was the one who was her biggest support and the best buddy in New York during her studies. She always wanted her life partner like Charles, and he always used to tease her that she will only marry a man like him or none at all.

She always wondered that he was an Englishman, a father of a very rich son and he himself was a wealthy man, then why he always preferred to live in New York.  She was his one and only tenant till he passed away. She had the most wonderful memories with them .They had taught her all their customs and Charles had taught her something she wanted to learn her whole life, Waltz.

She was devastated when Charles died, she wasn’t even able to see him last time as she was in India attending her father’s operation and neither could she attend Mariette’s funeral because again she was in India when Mariette had that massive heart attack.  After Charles death she never wanted to leave Mariette alone as she was the second mother figure in her life and she loved Charles too much, but Mariette was too happy when Nisha received the appointment letter from London’s one of the biggest hospital to join as an assistant physiotherapist and Mariette wanted her to take this job in London. When Mariette passed away she felt like someone had pulled her heart out of her rib cage and tear it apart. She still feels the guilt that she left Mariette when she needed her the most. Somehow she always feels responsible for Mariette death. 

It’s been a 3 months since they both had gone. Life is not been easy for her since then.  Her father’s surgery has drawn her account to almost nil. Now she had a new problem staring at her face. Her mother has been detected with the uterine cancer and need to undergo a surgery   as soon as possible. She doesn’t want to lose one more of her dearest one to the bloody cancer. She had borrowed money from almost everyone for her father’s operation and now she had nowhere to go.  With hardly money in her account all she had was her job. She knows she can always sell her small home in India but she knows it’s not going to do any good and she has no idea how she is going to do that costly laser surgery and the cherry on the cake was that her landlord has sent her the notice to leave the flat as soon as possible.

Nisha gave herself a reality check and said “as long as I have my job, nothing is impossible. I’ll definitely find a way.”

  As she said this she opened the door of her flat and let herself in.  When she went inside she looked at her flat and smiled. At the age of 25 she had her dream job in her dream city, rented but still her own apartment it was not that bad of a situation. She told herself that all she wanted to do is take a little break which is exactly she is going to do tomorrow.