Chapter 30

Chapter 31       

Elizabeth’s POV

We all sat quietly. No one spoke. My mother sat expressionless fanning herself. Juliana sat next to her soft tears falling down her face. I held my prayer book and read aloud comforting prayers and proverbs. Our emotions were appropriate and the room had a feminine hush to it. The heat was stifling. The hour was growing later; no one mentioned my father’s disappearance.

“Ladies it has been a most challenging day, I suggest you retire while I wait for your father.”

“Yes mother.”

Juliana and I slowly stood and began ascending the stairs. “Please bring us some tea Lucy.” Lucy looked tired and sorrowful, no doubt because the authorities were in a violent search for her daughter, that most despicable girl.

I don’t know how long it had been. Maybe minutes or hours passed. I lay awake listening to the old grandfather clock slowly tick. I heard a few muffled cries from Juliana before her room went silent as well. It seemed even my mother had gone to bed. I let myself drift off and then someone was nudging my shoulder.

Juliana wordlessly put a finger to her lips and grabbed my hand. She led me down the hallway. Terse words were flying and then distinct cries came from my mother.

“Girls come down here now,” came the slurred voice of my father. Who knows where he had been. He was staggering drunk. Behind him came a gruff looking man.

"Juliana meet your husband."

Juliana grasped me like a child. "Father whatever do you mean"?

"I gambled you away my dearest. I was trying to win us some money in a poker game gone wrong. He's looking for a bride to take with him to California. He has a parcel of land in which to build a house on. Jack's his name. Go pack your things.”

"How could you do this to me? Why were you gambling?”

He sat down, and began breathing heavily. “I’ve been gambling, because the cotton hasn’t been bringing in much money. We are going to lose everything.”

I rushed to my mother who looked so frail and small. “Mother, I am to marry Tim. That will insure our survival. Don’t let him do this to her.”

“I will not contradict my husband. Elizabeth you know I have more decorum than that.”

Juliana couldn’t contain herself. “Mother you are supposed to care for me and love me. Please convince father there is another way. Who cares about decorum?”

“We don’t have two thousand dollars Juliana. If we did I wouldn’t have done this. If you don’t go we will be cast out on the street. I haven’t a penny more to give this man,” came my father’s sad reply.

“I love you dearest.” With that she kissed Juliana and slowly went to her bedroom. My father opened a bottle of liquor and continued into his drunken stupor.

This was all so wrong. Every fiber of my being was screaming. I was use to class and etiquette and this defied everything we believed in. I decided to address this man and do what my parents would not. “Excuse me sir, I am getting married soon to a very wealthy man. Please allow me to pay you at that time. I will pay with interest, you have my word.”

“My train leaves in a hour, and I aint leavin without a wife.”

“Take me then, please but not my sister.”

“No Elizabeth, I will go.” Juliana looked sad and scared.