Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Lydia POV

It was seven in the morning and I was getting ready to prepare Elizabeth’s breakfast. The other maids were bustling about as well. The birds chirped their enchanting melody, and the chickens squawked impatiently. I wondered what Jake was doing right now; probably resting his beautiful head on his pillow, without a care in the world.

 I found that Jake began dominating my thoughts day and night. After the Weathers had left to attend the ball that night, I was allowed to visit my friend at the Dallas's so I could see the grand ball.

Somehow at the enormity of the mansion I ended up in the coatroom while looking for the kitchen. As I was about to leave a handsome young man came stumbled in. I didn't know who he was. I loved the way he looked at me. It was the first time I felt like more than just Lydia the plain maid.

He looked into my eyes and then kissed me, in a coat room, without even asking my name. His kiss was soft and warm. I didn't care about the circumstances. We spent over an hour in the coatroom. When I told him I was a maid he said "I don't care.”

Those three words meant more to me than any others I have ever heard. We would have spent more time talking and kissing had we not been interrupted. Some woman with an interesting accent caught us, but she said she wouldn't say anything. It has been a few weeks since then, and yet I hadn't heard from him.

I was beginning to think that the whole night was a mistake, and he probably came to his senses. Or perhaps it was nothing but a dream. Society would never allow us to wed, so perhaps it was just as well.

A brisk urgent knock sounded as I was taking Elizabeth’s breakfast to her. I sat the tray down and opened the door. A young man dressed in a suit was holding a large white box with a big pink bow on top. My heart fluttered. Then I realized Jake could never send me a present so publicly.

"For Miss Elizabeth Weathers, compliments of Mr. Tim Dallas," the servant said. The box was very large. With a gracious nod of my head I accepted the package and hurriedly ascended the stairs, forgetting the breakfast entirely. I was desperate to see what was inside. I knocked timidly at her door.

"Come in.”

I envied her poise and commanding voice. "Miss Weathers a package has been delivered for you.”

Just as I was about to set it down my hand ran over a piece of paper stuck to the bottom of the box. I quickly pulled it off and put it in my pocket, knowing deep inside it was for me. Why else would it be there?

"Just lay it on the bed. Who is it from Lydia?”

"Mr. Tim Dallas.”

She stopped what she was doing and ran over to it, squealing like a child. After regaining some composure she gently undid the bow and peeled back the wrapping. She pulled out a beautiful blue dress, an exact replica of the one he had soiled with the spilt wine.

"Ahhhh how thoughtful," she cooed. Elizabeth held the stunning dress to her body and twirled around the room. Then she opened the card revealing a beautiful flowing script, written by a delicate hand.

"Elizabeth, I am dreadfully sorry for ruining your dress. I hope you will enjoy this one, though no dress could ever be good enough for you. I hope this note finds you well. I would be pleased if you and your family would come to the polo match this Saturday, for I will be riding. I miss you my dear and hope to see you soon. Love Tim."

After she finished reading the letter aloud she held it to her chest.

"If it’s not to bold to say miss, I think he's sweet on you," I ventured.

Elizabeth nodded excitedly. Then remembering her superiority to me she swiftly looked down at me.

"Lydia, hang this up and bring me my breakfast.”

As usual I obeyed. "Yes Miss.”

I couldn't get away fast enough. It seemed someone needed help with this or that. Finally I hid in a coatroom. Ironically, since that is where my whole mess started in the first place. I pulled the crinkled note from my pocket. Lydia was scrawled on the top. I blushed deeply. It smelt of cologne and the outdoors. Just like Jake. The note read,

My dearest Lydia,

I am so sorry it took so long to write you. You must understand the risk I had to take to give this to you. I am not exactly sure of the events that took place at the ball. I do not want you to think I am toying with your feelings. I know this is difficult, and the secrecy inconvenient. I really did mean it when I said I didn't care that you are a maid. Lydia, spending that hour with you was the best of my life. I would be insane if I overlooked the opportunity to be with a woman like you. Please be patient with me. I will write you soon. For now my love I send you a thousand kisses and warm embraces.

I think I was wrong about him moving on.

"Lydia, what are you doing here?”

My mother had stumbled across my hiding place.

"Umm well...."

"I don’t want any excuses, just come peel some potatoes with me."

I loved my mother. She raised me with a strong hand. She was quick to scold and discipline. I grew to love and understand her soft subtle praises. My whole childhood I watched her carefully bent over the cooking, the wash, or the cleaning. I knew we were about to have a discussion. She often asked me to peel with her when something was weighing heavy on her mind.

We sat in the deserted kitchen. "Lydia are you still reading a lot?"

"Yes mam."

"Humph. Writing too?"

"Yes mam."

"You know I don’t see a need for reading and writing and such. Women belong in the kitchen. Your mamma loved books. "

She rarely talked of my birth mother. That was the one thing that could reduce my mother to tears.

"I didn’t know that."

"I read one of your compositions. Don't look at me like that; the book was lying out plain as day."

She was quiet as she peeled more potatoes. I was very nervous. I kept my journal very hidden. I loved to read and write. Women were looked down upon for having knowledge. I would give anything to learn more about history, literature, and the arts.

"It was good."

I looked at her expressionless face. Then wiping away tears she stopped what she was doing and faced me. Grasping my wrists she spoke.

"Your mother dreamed of seeing her name in print and attending a university. I know those are your dreams too despite as much as you try to hide it. Your mother left a small amount of money from her life of luxury. I have been saving it for you, so when the time was right I could give you something this life never could. Women are being accepted into universities more and more. I want you to fight for your dreams. Fight for all the maids, un-wed mothers, motherless girls, visionaries and feminists. Fight for all those Lydia. For you are Lydia Annabelle everheart and you have a right to hold your head high. Promise me Lydia; promise me you won’t give up."

"I promise."

"Good."

She scooped up the potatoes and walked away. I couldn't believe what had happened.  I stole away an hour to write in my journal. I was renewed with a sense of zeal at the prospect of having an education that could exceed my wildest dreams. I wrote furiously in my journal about the books I would no doubt read, and the wonderful people I would converse with. I would no longer be a simple minded maid, but a well rounded woman of society. Maybe dreams do come true.