Chapter 40

Chapter 42

Derek POV

Anger doesn’t begin to describe my feelings at this moment. Hatred, contempt, and rage don’t even brush close to my feelings. Juliana was stolen from me. Elizabeth warned me of the dangers of coming for Juliana. I didn’t care. I was prepared to kill if I must. If he had even laid a hand on her I didn’t know what I would do. I had to bring her home; it was the only way to write my wrong.

The train was moving swiftly. Currently I was sitting in a private car drinking or rather staring at my drink.

I tied and untied my tie again and again. My lapels would not straighten, and my shirt was very constricting.

I was tense. I quickly drank another scotch. A lot of things weighed heavily on my mind. 

In a matter of months I would inherit the factory, my grandmother’s health was failing, Lilly was trying to force me into marriage with her, my dead lovers sister has resurfaced, and above all Juliana was not in my arms. I couldn’t caress her, or whisper sweet nothings into her ear.

I remembered a distinct night years and years ago. I was just a little boy. I was no more than five or six years. It had been a warm day in August. The heat was thick, and it wrapped itself around you like a heavy cloak.

My grandmother took me to a B.B.Q at the Weathers house. I ran about on the grass like the other boys. We tousled in the dirt and did our best to escape the scoldings of our nannies and mothers.

Once we were out of eyesight one of the boys pushed me hard to the ground. I don’t remember this boy or even the color of his hair. Those details are irrelevant. They started to tease me and call me dirty names. I was a tough little kid and did my best to rough them up. We were only five and couldn’t do much damage. I'm sure I deserved whatever they did.

Out of nowhere this little girl came running up. She had piercing eyes that glinted with anger. Her brown curls previously pulled up under her bonnet laid free on her shoulders. She balled up those little fists and yelled at those boys to stop it.

The boys started taunting her too. She quickly grabbed my hand and we ran. We ran all the way to the barn. Without letting go or looking back she urged me to keep going. She took me up to the barn and we climbed a ladder to the hayloft.

Once we had caught our breath she crawled over to me and whispered with childlike sweetness “Are you ok?”

I will never forget that day nor the girl who captured my heart. When we later joined the party Juliana shrugged at her mother concerning the stains on her dress. Her eyes held a cat like ferocity that I feared and admired. She didn’t listen to anyone.

As we grew up we saw less of each other; forced to respect the strict gender boundaries. We led two different lives, but were somehow always two kindered spirits. We were the same; tied together by something I couldn’t name if I tried.

I believe even as a child I knew she was special, and we would one day be together. I knew many women as I entered adult hood. Juliana always lingered at the back of my mind. Not wanting to believe I was smitten or even deserved her I avoided the feelings and desires.

That strategy only works for so long and eventually you find yourself giving in on a warm summer night drunk as can be.

A sweet sultry voice floated through the door of my car. It might have been a delusion, but something was so familiar. I stepped out of my car. An eerie silence had settled over the train.

All that could be seen was the dimly lighted hallway and the blurred landscape that was rolling past.

A womanly figured shadow appeared in the corner of my eye. Again it was gone. A sweet scent of lavender wafted under my nose. I knew who it was. I began jogging forward as she disappeared around a corner.

Then the explosion came and it was silent.