Chapter 7

Chapter 7

 Juliana POV

We sat outside the ballroom, near the stables. Servants and coachmen passed us, but they didn't seem to take notice. We sat in silence for a few moments before Derek pulled a flask out of his suit pocket. After taking a long swig he wordlessly handed it to me. I threw my head back and gulped down the bitter liquid. It burned my throat but I didn't let on.

"So, why does an upstanding woman like you go sneaking off into the night with someone as morally loose as I?”

"Well obviously you don't know much about me if you think I’m upstanding.” The barn smelt of hay and manure, but it was strangely romantic. I watched the beautiful night sky, and I didn't even care that I was sitting on the ground in my best dress. I took another long drink. My head began to swim and my thoughts jumbled.

"Do you like this life?” Derek sounded strangely sober when he said this.

"I like the attention, the parties, and the clothes but at the same time I feel there’s more to life than getting married and having children. As you can probably assume I am not exactly the most refined or domesticated lady to settle down with,” I said. It was immensely strange to be having such a conversation with the man who never took anything seriously.

"I fell apart when my parents died. My father left a legacy that I will never live up too. I inherit his company in a matter of months and I feel like there is a whole crowd of people waiting for me to fail. My own grandmother quit believing in me. I don't blame everyone for viewing me as just some drunk. It’s not their fault. My conduct doesn’t exactly refute their remarks.”

"I don't think everyone feels that way,” I said in my best soothing tone.

"Ha! You’re either naive or very nice.”

“Why don’t we just say I'm nice?” I leaned in inches away from his face and whispered, “Want to do something crazy?”

"I thought sneaking away from a party and drinking was as crazy as you Weathers can get.” He tried to kiss me, but I cleverly put a finger between my lips and his.

I clucked my tongue. "Mr. Sharn what kind of girl do you take me for? You do underestimate my abilities to be bad.”

"Well then Miss Weathers name your price." He eagerly sprung to his feet, anxious to impress me.

 "I want you to climb atop one of these horses here and gallop across the field.”

"Your wish is my command my lady. I must warn you though; this will be anything but entertainment. I am quite the horseman.

“We will see about that.” He loudly tried to say something, but I quickly clamped my hand over his mouth. "Shhhhh be quiet or else they will hear us," I said in my best reproving tone, trying not to giggle. I led one of the horses to the very back where no one could see us.

 In one leap he jumped upon the horses back. Derek quickly jabbed his heel into the horse’s flanks. The horse reared a few times, the whites of his eyes showing, and he kicked up his heels bucking all the way.

The prideful horse bolted forward. Derek lasted a few seconds before falling to the ground. Stable boys came running outside at the great noise. The horse whinnied, and tossed his head mockingly, as if to taunt Derek. Some of the boys were half dressed, cigarettes hanging from their mouth and rags lay over their shoulders. Derek handed each some money to keep quiet about the incident. They snickered as they ran past him trying to catch the horse. I did my utmost not to laugh at his bruised face and ego.

 "How is that for a good time Miss Weathers?”

"Hmm a good attempt, but next time you will have to try to woo me a little more.”

"Next time?”

 He closed his eyes and rested his head against the ground. The night began to get very cold and soon my motherly sister would wonder where I went. "Yes, next time.” I then slipped a small piece of paper in his coat pocket. I left Derek on the ground and made my way back to the ballroom; smiling to myself.