Chapter 35

Chapter 36

Lilly POV

I slapped down the newspaper. I couldn’t even finish the article. I was pacing in my room, trying to figure out who could possibly be leaking all this information to the column. I sat at our dining room table just watching Victoria pack food into her small mouth. Judging by her hallowed pale complexion she hadn't had a good meal in a few days.

"Victoria-."

"Call me Vicky," she said between mouthfuls.

"Well yes Victoria I think we need to arrange for you to wear one of my old dresses. You can't go around in that shameful......sack." I pushed away my breakfast. Size two wouldn't create itself.

"Alright."

Her cheerfulness was getting annoying. I just hoped she would be gone before mother and father arrived home. It would be difficult enough trying to give Shane a descent explanation. Lydia skipped up the staircase taking two steps at a time. I rolled my eyes. Really, she was such a child.  I glided up the staircase judging her appearance. She had green cat eyes and long wavy brown hair. She could be beautiful with some work.

I chose a simple gown for 'Vicky'. It was a drab gown from last season. I'm not even sure why I chose it in the first place. It was emerald green with a lace shall. I'm sure I had some old lace gloves lying around. I turned around.

"This will have to-, what are you doing?" Victoria was standing in her undergarments.

"You said to undress."

This was going to be harder than I thought. "I meant in the powder room. Alright well come here. We need to get a corset on you."

"A what. Ouch! How am I supposed to breathe with this thing?"

"You don't."

"I look amazing."

"Well yes I suppose you do." I had arranged her hair and makeup to make her more presentable.

"So Victoria."

"Vicky."

"Yes Vicky, How would you like to pay a visit to the Sharn’s?”

"Oh yes that would be lovely."

"Well then we will call on them later today, for now let’s sit in the parlor. I'm dying to know all about California." I heard voices coming from the parlor. Soon two men, one being my brother came into view. They stood to greet us. I prayed Victoria wouldn't cause me any grief.

"Good afternoon sister, may I introduce Kenny Walsh he is visiting from the navy."

"Good Day. I'm pleased to meet you. I owe you many thanks for defending our home land Mr. Walsh. You must be fatigued from your long journey. May I offer you refreshments?"

"No thank you. Shane was just about to show me around the grounds of your lovely home. Some female company would be most pleasing. If you care to join us?"

"I would be most delighted Mr. Walsh."

"As would I."

"Excuse my manners gentleman. May I introduce Miss Victoria Heights? She is visiting from California." Mr. Walsh stepped forward and kissed Victoria's hand. I couldn’t help but to feel a bit of jealousy

"Won't you accompany me to the grounds Miss Heights?"

"Yes thank you."

They strode to the garden arm and arm. While I was left with my brother. The day was strikingly beautiful.