Chapter 14

Chapter 15

Tim's POV

Sunday afternoons were something to be treasured. It seemed that everyone took a moment to admire god's creation, and exquisite wonder of life. They might stop to caress an animal or inhale the sweet scent of the blooming roses that filled every corner. Services were held at eleven o'clock at our small white wooden church.

It was over a hundred years old and resided next to a large lake filled with ducklings and swans that seemed to only come out on the most inviting of summer days. The church was adjacent to the Weather's Estate. Not a southern soul would deny the existence of god, but becoming a parishner was more a social affair instead of a spiritual one.

I had dressed my best today. I wanted to smooth matters over with Elizabeth. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but I had to try. I had planned to apologize to her, and then take her for a row boat ride across the lake. People were already arriving. I was growing quite anxious.

"Dear, are you coming inside," my mother asked.

"In a moment mother, I would like to escort Elizabeth.”

"Here is your chance my dear.”

I turned around to see her extend her gloved hand to the coachman. She looked breathtaking; even more so than at the ball. She was wearing a much fitted modern gown. It was made entirely of lace and had a thick satin band at the waist that formed a bow in the back.

Her golden hair looked angelic, with the sunlight streaming behind her. Curly locks fell around her piercing blue eyes. She looked bored almost, like a regal goddess with her lips pierced in a delicate frown. Young women flocked to her.

She listened and laughed from time to time as the rattled on about something or other. I saw a sorrow in her eyes, an emptiness that reflected my own soul at times like these. I hurriedly made my way to her with renewed confidence, and enthrallment by her beauty.

"Miss Weathers I am dearly sorry for my foul behavior last night. It was uncalled for. I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies.”

She casually turned my direction and looked at me with contempt and disdain. "Thank you Mr. Dallas.”

With that she strolled past me. I was dumbfounded. I didn't exactly expect her to melt in my arms, but she was being incredibly difficult. I slowly jogged up to her. "Elizabeth I’m sorry. It was all a big misunderstanding. Please let's forget those words we said in haste. Let me escort you inside.”

She remained expressionless, "Mr. Dallas that won't be necessary.”

“I tossed and turned all night. I couldn’t stop thinking of you.”

“I highly doubt that.”

She laid her parasol over her shoulder and continued inside. A few young men formed a circle around her, showering her in praises and offering their arms to her. Leaving me trudge up the steps alone.

 I was distracted by the sweet, harmonious, almost bird like melody that came forth from Elizabeth's lips every time she lifted her voice in song. The preacher spoke in a clear strong voice of brimstone and fire.

He often lifted the bible and shook it at us, to prove his point. Elizabeth leaned forward ever so slightly, and furrowed her brow in concentration. I admired how attentive she was, and every other aspect of her personality.

I didn't want to have to do this, but if I asked her to spend the afternoon with me in front of her parents she would have no choice but to say yes. Even if she didn't have feelings for me, I wanted this plight to be resolved, one way or another.