Chapter 41

Chapter 43

Lydia POV

They all stared and stared and stared. Imagine how I felt! My supposedly murdered father was alive.

“William you best explain yourself.” Sandra stared at William in disgust.

“You must understand, we were very young.”

“Why would that matter? She loved you more than anything. She thought you were dead. That killed her. She died from a broken heart!”

He became enraged. Standing up, he threw the chair aside. “I loved that woman. I died inside when she passed! Don’t you understand that?”

He was inches away from my face. I fought the urge to slap him and embrace him. I finally had a father, but now I just wanted him to leave.

“You knew about me and you left.”

“Your grandfather’s men threatened to kill me if I didn’t leave you and your mother.”

“I needed a Father!”

“I didn’t want them to hurt you!”

“Just tell me one thing. Did you ever think about me? When you had all these children did you forget me? Did you care?”

He came to my side. The air was electric with emotion. Everyone was still as stone. Eyes stared dagger like at William and I. With a long sigh, he then stroked my face. The tears were relentless.

“Every day. I have thought of you every day.”

He wrapped his arms around me. I sobbed. My father was alive. I was confused with mixed feelings of loss longing and love.

“Oh god.”

This unexpected outcry came from Will. His face was ashen. He walked towards me, laying his hands on my shoulders. Then he turned away in disgust.

“You’re my sister! I kissed you, and you’re my sister!”

Now I felt sick. I ran. It seemed all I ever did was run. I ran until my heart was pounding in my ears. My throat burned and the stinging in my eyes was unbearable. My legs quivered and shook.

I was almost up the hill. I wanted to get as high as I could. My tears came out in angry yells. I cursed. I cursed my mother, father, brother, Jake, and most of all myself.

“Why?!!! What do you want from me? Why am I suffering so much?” I beat my fists against the earth. My knuckles became bloodied and handfuls of hair surrounded my clothes.

My face was ridden with dirt and red from the crying.

How would I go on now? What was out there for me?

Pots clanging and terse words were heard all the way down at the house. I saw will gallop off on his horse. The other children solemnly moped around the yard. Then it was quiet, too quiet, and then it came. Rain.

The universe was once again laughing in my face.